LaunchBox Community Forums

New Retro Big Box Theme

skainlurmis

Hey everyone, so I'm (slowly) working on a new theme inspired by the aesthetics of "New Retro Arcade Neon". Up to this point I've only done the platforms that I currently have myself. This really started as a vanity project, but I figured maybe other people would be interested. The individual platforms take a pretty decent amount of work, so they take a while to produce. I also am using some assets from different sources:

- The background image is a screenshot from New Retro Arcade

- The carpet texture is also from New Retro Arcade

- The ambient arcade sounds are from Andy Hofle's Arcade Ambience Project

I'm also planning on making images for the third "Game Details" view with the "Play, flip box, etc." (the one a lot of people turn off). But that's tabled for the moment. 

A bit of the in's and outs of this are that; as I am not a programmer ..at least not a skilled one, these platform images are actually Banner image replacements. My intent was to only really use this one view so that works fine, but if you wanted to use a different view it would look a little screwed up. I figure in the future they could be converted to be platform videos, but I just don't have the time to work all that out at the moment. 

So this is both a heads-up saying "Hey this is something in the works", but also a request for a little help. As I try to make the files ready for upload here, I'm running into a problem with my XAML. File paths need to be changed to make background images work, but the bigger issue is that, when I copied the them file and moved it to my desktop to edit it, it now gives me an "Invalid Markup" and my "transistions:transistionpresenter" tag is giving me errors. 

SO!!! All that being said, if anyone is interested in helping me figure this fellow out, I will gladly upload the theme folder for anyone to play around with and actually get working. I hope this is something you guys are interested in, and thanks for being such an awesome community, and Launchbox for being such an awesome product!

NRBB_Screen_0.png

NRBB_Screen_01.png

NRBB_Screen_1.png

YOUTUBE DEMO 

Download link: 

http://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/224-new-retro-big-box/

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Hey @skainlurmis. Definitely a nice theme that you have in the works!

I just tried it out with my own theme and moved it to the desktop. Visual Studio also gives me an invalid markup error. My guess is that this happens because VS needs files from your LaunchBox installation and can’t find them anymore because the paths get messed up when you move your theme folder out of the “Themes” folder from LaunchBox. Moving the folder back should most likely solve that problem.

If you have other questions and problems than feel free to hit me up and I'll take a look at it.

• Like 2

Definitely looking forward to this releasing.

I'm not sure how you would be able to but, it would be cool if the games view would have the console and have a cartridge in the console.

I know a few people were working on something like that in Hyperspin but, I think something like that would be an awesome addition to this theme.

anyway, nice work!

Looks like an awesome and very creative theme. Outstanding work!

One thing that jumps out though. I think the glare and reflections effect on the TV screen should be toned down just a tad so that the gameplay videos are easier to see.

I love the effect, I just think at that intensity, it's a little distracting.

Look forward to the release.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, so here is something that I would like to implement someday. On the third screen, I've made a few mock up "fan-arts" that would show up. It ...would be a bear ...because it's basically making an image for ....sigh ...every game that exists ... :) but, ya know ..it's nice to have a project. 

fanart_01.jpg

fanart_02.jpg

fanart_03.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ok, so I'm going to go ahead and upload this guy, but just a heads up, there are many MANY platforms that aren't done. Also, anyone who downloads it and has any suggestions on how to implement things better, by all means please let me know. This is my first attempt at this stuff and I'm much more of a photoshop guy than a programmer. Thanks everyone!

• Like 3

Its Amazing. now i understand this is in beta so not sure if the issues im having is becuse it isnt implementet yet or mistakes on my end.

the tv on the platform selection isnt showing anything...

when looking at a platform that isnt created yet.  i get a giant platform image.  see picture.

20161222_130502.jpg

20161222_130530.jpg

Edited by ALIE

14 hours ago, skainlurmis said:

Thanks everyone, so here is something that I would like to implement someday. On the third screen, I've made a few mock up "fan-arts" that would show up. It ...would be a bear ...because it's basically making an image for ....sigh ...every game that exists ... :) but, ya know ..it's nice to have a project. 

fanart_01.jpg

fanart_02.jpg

fanart_03.jpg

You should be able to just layer everything with xaml using images from the games database instead of making "fanart" backgrounds for each game (since it looks like you want everything to follow a certain template).  Would be much easier this way and everyone can reuse the images in their own themes.

Edited by spektor56