LaunchBox Community Forums

New Retro Big Box Theme

skainlurmis

Yea, it would be cool if the background images were made to be easily swappable.  Bedroom / familyroom / basement makes sense for home consoles, arcade makes sense for mame and such.  I really like the whole concept here though.

Looks like you cut off the end of the NES controller in the picture

Edited by spektor56
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spektor56 said:

Yea, it would be cool if the background images were made to be easily swappable.  Bedroom / familyroom / basement makes sense for home consoles, arcade makes sense for mame and such.  I really like the whole concept here though.

Looks like you cut off the end of the NES controller in the picture

Yeah, the original image I used had it cut off. This was just a rough draft seeing how it could possibly look and dropped items into it. I would swap out the TV model and stuff and make it my own so its not just a copy of  skainlurms's theme. That's if I even get time to do it all. As mentioned I'm new to BigBox and themes so just seeing how it all works.

2 hours ago, MatticusFinch1820 said:

This is awesome!!! I like the Bedroom theme much better! It would be cool to be able to have the arcade theme for the arcade systems and then have these bedroom themes for the consoles which each console having the TV of its era and posters of its era in there. What an amazing theme if that could be done like above! 

Thanks. I'm new to Launchbox/Big Box and just messing with an already awesome theme. I'll play around with the main consoles that I always use and gauge interest.  Just need to find posters/toys/TV models for 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan said:

Just looking for some help with installing a theme. I downloaded the file, unzipped the contents into a folder in the Themes folder of Launchbox, then selected the theme in BigBox. However, I get this:

15s6mhj.png

What am I doing wrong?

That's what I got at first. I went into options and set my K key to change views and cycled through till i got to the right view.

On 12/18/2016 at 1:57 PM, skainlurmis said:

Hey everyone, so I'm (slowly) working on a new theme inspired by the aesthetics of "New Retro Arcade Neon". Up to this point I've only done the platforms that I currently have myself. This really started as a vanity project, but I figured maybe other people would be interested. The individual platforms take a pretty decent amount of work, so they take a while to produce. I also am using some assets from different sources:

- The background image is a screenshot from New Retro Arcade

- The carpet texture is also from New Retro Arcade

- The ambient arcade sounds are from Andy Hofle's Arcade Ambience Project

I'm also planning on making images for the third "Game Details" view with the "Play, flip box, etc." (the one a lot of people turn off). But that's tabled for the moment. 

A bit of the in's and outs of this are that; as I am not a programmer ..at least not a skilled one, these platform images are actually Banner image replacements. My intent was to only really use this one view so that works fine, but if you wanted to use a different view it would look a little screwed up. I figure in the future they could be converted to be platform videos, but I just don't have the time to work all that out at the moment. 

So this is both a heads-up saying "Hey this is something in the works", but also a request for a little help. As I try to make the files ready for upload here, I'm running into a problem with my XAML. File paths need to be changed to make background images work, but the bigger issue is that, when I copied the them file and moved it to my desktop to edit it, it now gives me an "Invalid Markup" and my "transistions:transistionpresenter" tag is giving me errors. 

SO!!! All that being said, if anyone is interested in helping me figure this fellow out, I will gladly upload the theme folder for anyone to play around with and actually get working. I hope this is something you guys are interested in, and thanks for being such an awesome community, and Launchbox for being such an awesome product!

NRBB_Screen_0.png

NRBB_Screen_01.png

NRBB_Screen_1.png

YOUTUBE DEMO 

I posted this in the Bedroom thread but it applies here too. 

Question for you (or anyone) though, I was experimenting with this style background from the New Retro Big Box theme by taking the TV and Desk PNG and making a CFG file so i can use it as a retroarch TV overlay and play the games through the TV with the system and desk in view. It worked!!! BUT the TV screen is small as hell for playing and the TV and desk are off to the side (because of the console wheel space.) so my question is, Would it be possible to make these TV pngs modified to be able to use as retroarch TV overlays? I would think the only thing to be done would be to make the TV slightly bigger and the desk and TV more towards the center. 

That way each system you play, you are playing it in the TV on the desk with the console right next to it! Ive included a PNG of the file from NRBB so you can see. 

Nintendo64x.png

if it worked for you already I would assume the artwork just needs to be redone/reworked to fit the area. Can you set the game size screen to be smaller in retroarch to fit within the tv? I assumed if just filled the whole screen. 

Months ago I was trying to figure out how to get the TV overlays to work in my RetroPie setup but couldn't figure it out. Where does the overlay file get uplaoded to and how do you select it in RetroPie/EmulationStation? I knew how to overlay scanlines, i would assume same way to overlay the TV screen. What kinda file does the tv overlay have to be saved as? 

Edited by vice350z
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, vice350z said:

if it worked for you already I would assume the artwork just needs to be redone/reworked to fit the area. Can you set the game size screen to be smaller in retroarch to fit within the tv? I assumed if just filled the whole screen. 

Months ago I was trying to figure out how to get the TV overlays to work in my RetroPie setup but couldn't figure it out. Where does the overlay file get uplaoded to and how do you select it in RetroPie/EmulationStation? I knew how to overlay scanlines, i would assume same way to overlay the TV screen. What kinda file does the tv overlay have to be saved as? 

Ok I figured it out. I took the png image out and cropped it and now it looks like the attached image. I did this for each system. Now, to get them to work in retroarch as overlays, you need to make a .cfg file (ive included one, just replace the name with each console you have a png image for). Just make sure the name of the png image is listed in the .cfg file and put them in a folder in the Retroarch root directory and then go into your retroarch menu, go to settings, overlays and chose the cfg for the console you want. Now you need to resize the screen in retroarch. Go to video settings menu and look for the "aspect ratio index" setting and put it on custom, then you can resize the screen using the four settings below that option. Its tedious to resize but once it fits in it looks great! 

I have included the N64 png i resized and a cfg file, you can copy this cfg file over and over and just replace the name of the png image. Thats it! 

If we could just get a slightly bigger TV in this, it would be amazing. 

Nintendo64.cfg

Nintendo64.png

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

So I just wanted to chime in as its been ..a million years, and a handful of folks have mentioned it so I figured I'd upload the raw PSD file of the main platform/ console view. It's in the downloads section for New Retro Big Box, ..I left a comment with the file in there. Have fun!

@RetroRalph @Kittoei 

Edited by skainlurmis
  • Like 1

Hello guys,
I am well motivated for beautiful skain work, I have already done some tests with my nostalgic bedroom, and after letting me animate these drawings in theme rachid lotf  the immense kindness of let me use his work again ! Here are some examples of a night of tests, I want all of us to integrate video backgrounds and change the mood according to the developer (the perfect example is the capcom with final fight with a dirty metro :)
I still have a lot of things to master. I'll keep you updated on developments soon!

191022062232291483.png

191022062224871702.png

191022060239163472.png

191022060318492564.png

191022060221433823.png

Edited by PaDeMoNiuM