LaunchBox Community Forums

Shaders not working with Retroarch

Retrofrogg

I'm struggling to get the shaders working with Retroarch. The platform I am trying to get working is the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (which I have renamed to Nintendo SNES), and the emulator is Retroarch. The core in Retroarch that I am using for this is bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll. When I go into Retroarch and load the bsnes core, then go to quick menu, then shaders, then choose a preset and select it, everything seems well. When I run a SNES game in Launchbox however, no shader effects seem to be applied. I have tried restarting Launchbox. Am I doing something wrong?

What shader specifically are you trying to use ?

Are you trying to load a preset ? Presets are designated by the letter p at the end of the extension (cgp and glslp). If there is no p at the end then it isn't a preset and it is load a bit differently and is more advanced.

Are you trying to load from the CG, GL or Slang shaders ? Slang shaders are only for use with Vulkan renderer by the way.

If one shader doesn't work from the GL or CG try from the other. So for example if a CG shader isn't loading try the same one from the GL folder.

Thanks for your input. I was trying to load presents. What I have found is that not all shader presets load - I got things like GEOM, Lottes and Easymode to work, but when I select CRT Royale for example and return to the Retroarch shaders screen, it hasn't loaded it and still displays the previous shader. 

I am happy that I have got some shaders to work but am unsure as to why some don't seem to load.

I think some shader passes don't work with certain video cards or it could just be a "broken" preset that slipped through the cracks since there are a lot of them. Royale is one of the more complex ones so that may be why it didn't load for you. Try loading from the other folder, if you were trying the CG version try the GL and vice versa.

Just out of curiosity what graphics card are you using ?

On my main system I use an Nvidia 970 and almost ever shader works where on my HTPC I have a 7800 series Radeon card and there are more shaders there that do not work.