LaunchBox Community Forums

My Big Box CriticalZone City Hunter Set Up

Charco

1 minute ago, docralston said:

In my cabinet I'm running an AMD APU A10-5800K (4 x 4.2GHz CPUs - plus Radeon 7660D GPU), 4GB RAM. It was cheap at the time and sounded good when I thought all I'd be doing was MAME through Hyperspin, but I have since branched out and realized I need more. I've heard that processing power is the most important part. Upgrading to 16GB RAM probably won't fix the issue, right? I also obviously need a real graphics card.

Lol, you lost me there when you said AMD!! just kidding, So its a cpu/gpu same chip? Ram will always help any pc always, no such thing as too much ram, however. Yes if you are using a integrated gpu, then yes gamecube/wii and ps2 are out of your reach for the time being.

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

Yeah integrated graphics isn't going to cut it for Dolphin or PCSX2 especially if it is an older chip. A relatively cheap card will probably get you over that limitation my gtx 950 was only $125 if I remember correctly.

Yep good cheap card, but you have to have a system that could even take a graphics card?

I think the A10 is a standard desktop CPU unless his board is really small with no open PCIe slots it should most likely be upgradeable unless its small form factor or has minuscule PSU that can't handle the load or doesn't have power connectors

Edited by DOS76
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Well I don't want to put words in your mouth or dictate in any way, but I would add a cheap graphics card 1st, I mean this is all about emulation right, you want to game. However, you said you had 4gb ram I assume that's a single stick? do you have a second ram slot?

It's been so long since I looked. I'll have to check again.

• Like 1

How old is the system newer boards and OS support mad memory but Windows 7 computers had limits on the size sticks they would take I had a six slot triple channel board that excepted on 24GB of RAM and I think the 4GB sticks were the biggest you could use in them so you have to look into your hardware limitations before you start buying anything.

3 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

How old is the system newer boards and OS support mad memory but Windows 7 computers had limits on the size sticks they would take I had a six slot triple channel board that excepted on 24GB of RAM and I think the 4GB sticks were the biggest you could use in them so you have to look into your hardware limitations before you start buying anything.

I bought the system in late April 2014 so it isn't that old. It'll probably hold 16GB. I think I need to find out the motherboard model and go from there.

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

@docralston, windows 10??

I installed Win 7 on this computer when I was starting out with Hyperspin because forums recommended it. Is there any reason I should stick with Win 7 at this point, or better yet, a good reason to upgrade to 10? Thank you both for all your help so far.