LaunchBox Community Forums

My Big Box CriticalZone City Hunter Set Up

Charco

7 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Right I'm English, and my SOCCER? Team are playing on TV right now, so I'm on my tablet, might be a bit slow to comment. Apologies

Ahh, what's your team? I'm from USA and honestly only get involved in football at World Cup time, but I do enjoy watching a game if it's on at the bar.

I'm at work now but I'll definitely take a look at my computer tonight or tomorrow and make a few purchases. I want to see if I can get Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour running with some of those fancy Dolphin enhancements.

On 04/01/2017 at 2:03 PM, Charco said:

It's an i5 6600, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, with a 250GB SSD for the OS and a 2TB HDD. I have only used about 1TB of HDD space and doubt I'll add too much more other than some more Gamecube, Saturn, and PS1 games.

im running an i7 4770k cpu 8 gb ram plus nvidia GTX 960 with 250 ssd for os and 480 ssd for launchbox only and 4tb for emulators/roms and rocketlauncher.

The A10 APU, because it is an APU shares system memory with the GPU core on the die. The biggest problem with an APU like that is that the ram in the system is substantially slower than what you would normally find on a dedicated GPU. That CPU is also entirely too weak for any reasonable expectation for it to run Dolphin or PCSX2 at full speed even most of the time. It may be high on the Ghz but AMDs IPC (instructions per clock) is entirely too low. The way I see it you have only 3 options...

1. Say to heck with it and replace the entire machine, from personal experience with that specific APU, even overclocked, this is the best option.
  2. Get a MINIMUM of 8GB of the absolute fastest memory that board can possibly handle. The faster the better.
  3. Get a dedicated GPU. This will solve the Slow RAM access of the APU by bypassing it but even still, 4GB is simply too low for a modern machine even if it is just used for emulation.

With AMDs ZEN architecture right on the horizon, likely coming out this month, there should at the very least be a rapid drop in price for really good CPUs. Basically, if you do decide to get a dedicated GPU you may be able to run some or even many GameCube titles with only a little slowdown but not all, or even most, games will work well. PCSX2 is actually quite a bit more demanding on your hardware than Dolphin is so you will likely be running into the problem of slowdowns very often. I put my son together his own PC, it is based on the Pentium G3258. Since neither Dolphin nor PCSX2 can really take good advantage of more than two cores, to begin with, his PC at stock speeds runs pretty much all of the GameCube games he wants to play. With a moderately decent air cooler, you can easily clock that bad boy into the 4.5Ghz+ range and that makes pretty much anything you throw at it buttery smooth. Point is, you don't need a fabulously expensive system to run these high-grade emulators with ease and speed. You just seem to have picked the worst combination of parts you could to be able to run them well.

Sorry for breaking up the fun talking about sports but I saw this and I just couldn't let it go without commenting.

Edited by cammelspit
  • Like 1