LaunchBox Community Forums

Does launchbox handle overlays?

andy_d

I'm pretty new to all of this. I started out by working with emulation on my Shield but when a friend pointed out Launchbox I rushed to that. I've been able to set it up and emulators to work as I want them to but trying to figure out how to handle black bars

Is it something I need to check with each emulator I'm using or is it something I can use Launchbox for?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

If you really want overlays that badly then go for it but just in case you don't know what you are in for RocketLauncher is not a fun program to learn how to use at all. It will be a lot of extra work just for overlays and a couple of other cosmetic features you may or may not use.

I agree completely! However overlays are fairly simple, you just need to change a couple of settings for overlays. However you would have to setup all your emulators in rocketlauncher first, then change all your launchbox emulators to point at rocketlauncher. It can be a bastard to learn, but I'm using for just that bezels and fades, it took a little patience but works great. Also rocketlauncher can now use your launchbox xml so knows what platforms u have already, which helps in the setup.

If you set LB as the front end in Rocket Launcher doesn't it just use your install and you don't have to connect all of your emulators. I set it up right after it supported LB as a front end and the only thing I needed to do was switch the emulator to RL in LB and that was it. If you are using MAME and RA though for mostly everything you can get overlays without having to use RL either.

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

If you set LB as the front end in Rocket Launcher doesn't it just use your install and you don't have to connect all of your emulators. I set it up right after it supported LB as a front end and the only thing I needed to do was switch the emulator to RL in LB and that was it. If you are using MAME and RA though for mostly everything you can get overlays without having to use RL either.

I maybe wrong, but yes it showed all my systems from launchbox but didn't know where the emus were, I had to point it to every .exe again. Maybe I set it up wrong?

On 1/4/2017 at 10:23 AM, neil9000 said:

I maybe wrong, but yes it showed all my systems from launchbox but didn't know where the emus were, I had to point it to every .exe again. Maybe I set it up wrong?

That is correct in how it works. Its kind of confusing but if you think about it this way it kind of makes sense - How would Rocketlauncher know what emulator to use if Launchbox is pointing to it instead of an actual emulator for any particular system? That's how I wrapped my head around it. I think it also helps switching between frontends easier in Rocketlauncher. 

I didn't get reply alerts in email about this thread - I'll have to check on that.  I wish I had though...

Rocket Launcher was incredibly frustrating to deal with.  I spent more time getting that set up than I did getting stuff to work directly on the emulators.  I got it working now for the most part but you can see on this thread of me making updates to what I needed help with but just me updating stuff solved after spending more time with it...

http://www.rlauncher.com/forum/showthread.php?4255-Everything-works-in-launchbox-or-emulators-running-into-errors-though-via-rocketlauncher&p=33533#post33533

Spent way too many hours on it to be honest.  Errors were never meaningful enough - it took forever to realize sub-folders aren't supported or that Rocket Launcher requires every Sega CD bios for the Sega emulator in Retroarch when Retroarch only needed the relevant one and other things I'd like to forget about.  

I feel like I can write up a guide now after dealing with it lol.  I really couldn't find anything that was relevant / recent.

Edited by andy_d
  • Like 1