LaunchBox Community Forums

Exiting Demul closes BigBox

LogicalEgo

I have the exact same problem here.

For a small number of emulators like (demul, expse, and mame) I am using a small custom script similar to this for quitting:

$Esc::

{

Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}

} 

The script works within Launchbox.  Not so much with Big Box: It throws me back to Desktop with the Big Box task still running but not re-opening.

So I removed the script and used the default. It launches and closes in BigBox but BigBox music and video is still playing in the background. When manually exit BB to desktop, task manager still holds on to the ,exe and music is playing in the background.

Edited by keltoigael

2 hours ago, IlhanK said:

I have the exact same problem here.

For a small number of emulators like (demul, expse, and mame) I am using a small custom script similar to this for quitting:

{

} 

The script works within Launchbox.  Not so much with Big Box: It throws me back to Desktop with the Big Box task still running but not re-opening.

I have this same script set for Demul in the emulator's Auto-Hotkey Script tab in LB. I just tested launching a Dreamcast game from within Big Box, getting into gameplay, pressing Escape and the game/Demul closed and went back to Big Box; no crashing or processes for Demul still running in Task Manager. I also tried it with a PlayStation game (I use ePSXe, using the same script) and it closed the game/ePSXe and returned to the game info screen in Big Box. Maybe some other background application is conflicting?

Also, for MAME, it exits by the Escape key as a default, so that script isn't needed for it.

2 hours ago, keltoigael said:

So I removed the script and used the default. It launches and closes in BigBox but BigBox music and video is still playing in the background. When manually exit BB to desktop, task manager still holds on to the ,exe and music is playing in the background.

Which video back-end are you using? Media Player or VLC?

7 hours ago, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

I have this same script set for Demul in the emulator's Auto-Hotkey Script tab in LB. I just tested launching a Dreamcast game from within Big Box, getting into gameplay, pressing Escape and the game/Demul closed and went back to Big Box; no crashing or processes for Demul still running in Task Manager. I also tried it with a PlayStation game (I use ePSXe, using the same script) and it closed the game/ePSXe and returned to the game info screen in Big Box. Maybe some other background application is conflicting?

Also, for MAME, it exits by the Escape key as a default, so that script isn't needed for it.

Have you tested with controller automation and not with just escape?

I edited the script for nomousy and everything is closing correctly again but I am now loosing background music on exit. I have to exit out into options and then back into platforms in order to get music playback.

Run, C:\LaunchBox\Nomousy\nomousy.exe /hide

{

Run, C:\LaunchBox\Nomousy\nomousy.exe

}

Edited by keltoigael

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2017 at 5:11 PM, keltoigael said:

Just recently when I exit Demul BigBox will exit to desktop but keep the task running. I then have to go into task manager to kill BigBox and relaunch. Any ideas?

I have the same problem only started fairly recently. I filed a ticket here:

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/2618/controller-automation-exit-is-making

On 1/6/2017 at 0:19 PM, keltoigael said:

I edited the script for nomousy and everything is closing correctly again but I am now loosing background music on exit. I have to exit out into options and then back into platforms in order to get music playback.

Run, C:\LaunchBox\Nomousy\nomousy.exe /hide

{

Run, C:\LaunchBox\Nomousy\nomousy.exe

}

The ahk in this above quote fixed the issue for me.

Here's what works for me for Demul.

I also pasted the text on pastebin because sometimes the coding and spacing don't appear right on the forums here.

http://pastebin.com/vyLAhTSP

Run, nomousy.exe /hide
$Esc::goto exiting
exiting:
{
Run, nomousy.exe
}

Doing it this way, make sure the nomousy.exe file is in the same directory as the BigBox.exe. Doing it this way you don't have to reference the entire path to the nomousy.exe.

Also if you having issues with audio still playing in the background, look at this post.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ckp said:

if i remove the line to close demul or parent process, i cannot exit a demul game. how are you existing the Demul games now?

I strictly use bigbox.  So exiting with controller automation works with the ahk i quoted earlier. As far as exiting from launchbox desktop mode....i just use alt+enter , then manually close it by clicking "x".   Which doesnt bother me bc i hardly ever use desktop mode.