LaunchBox Community Forums

Import media from hyperspin

optimus0

there is anyway to import media from hyperspin (roceklauncher) i know there is a way to use the config files but i dont want that

i have a lot of media on hyperspin videos sound covers etc....... and i really prefer to use LB and config my favorite emu etc and mi internet conection is to slow to download all data again (2tb of emus and roms and media 512kb is my top speed)

so ...... if there i no way, at least some way to copy and paste or something.

thanks

You can either point to the media in Launchbox in the Manage Platforms. This way is good if you want to have both frontends without doubling your media. Or you can copy / move your media over to the appropriate folders within your Launchbox folder. I have done this with some media in my collection with success but please don't hate me if it does not work for you.

• 1 year later...

I just purchased a 16 TB hyperspin set of drives. they are in a raid 0 configuration in an external enclosure. I am told that Launchbox is present but not configured. I paid for bigbox and want to use it in in conjunction with Hyperspin. The System is set up for Hyperspin. My question is where can I find a tutorial or something to configure that large amount of data in LB without spending the rest of my life manually doing it. So far all i can find is methods that will take a tremendous amount of time with that many emulators and games. Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated. thanks.

22 hours ago, jimh54 said:

I just purchased a 16 TB hyperspin set of drives. they are in a raid 0 configuration in an external enclosure. I am told that Launchbox is present but not configured. I paid for bigbox and want to use it in in conjunction with Hyperspin. The System is set up for Hyperspin. My question is where can I find a tutorial or something to configure that large amount of data in LB without spending the rest of my life manually doing it. So far all i can find is methods that will take a tremendous amount of time with that many emulators and games. Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Hi @jimh54, the truth is that it will take a while to get everything going. LaunchBox is the easiest thing to set up by far out of all the frontends available, but migrating everything over from Hyperspin is not automatic for everything all at once. The LaunchBox YouTube channel is probably your best bet, however.

I'm also not sure who you purchased the drive from or if they've included an illegal license to Big Box, but we do know at least one drive seller who is doing just that. If you have access to Big Box already and your name is not at the top of the LaunchBox interface, then it's guaranteed to be pirated. It's also worth noting that unfortunately drive sellers are illegally profiting off of the work of so many in the gaming community, most notably the actual game developers themselves, and drives populated with ROMs and such are not legal (neither selling nor buying them). I'm sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news.

• Like 1

Jason, Thank you for the reply. I had already purchased a LB/BB lifetime license.So, no problem there, I will just use that one. It seems to me that everyone that makes this kind of system is doing so illegally because none of the roms are really in the public domain and free from copyright law in the US. Whether they are downloaded from usenet, torrents, or websites none are officially legal. Unfortunately, such is the way of the world we live in. I cannot be the judge of those who make these drives and systems and sell them. I appreciate your concern though.

Having said all of that, my original request was some kind of information such as file structure comparisons, scripts, or anything that would be helpful in the migration process. I believe that the days of Hyperspin are slowly fading away and I think Launchbox is the most logical replacement.

What I did is created symlinks from the Artwork1, Artwork2, Artwork3 and Artwork4 contents, and placed the links in the corresponding LB folders. That way both FEs have the same files (no dupes), and if LB modifies any file name, it wont modify the source ones, just the symlinks. This setup will also help you in not changing the LB paths to the HS ones.

This is the extension I installed in my set:
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

Its great because its easy as selecting a file or group of files, right-click, "Pick Link Source", then going to the LB desired folder and "Drop as > Symbolic Link".

Edited by Kondorito

30 minutes ago, jimh54 said:

Jason, Thank you for the reply. I had already purchased a LB/BB lifetime license.So, no problem there, I will just use that one. It seems to me that everyone that makes this kind of system is doing so illegally because none of the roms are really in the public domain and free from copyright law in the US. Whether they are downloaded from usenet, torrents, or websites none are officially legal. Unfortunately, such is the way of the world we live in. I cannot be the judge of those who make these drives and systems and sell them. I appreciate your concern though.

Having said all of that, my original request was some kind of information such as file structure comparisons, scripts, or anything that would be helpful in the migration process. I believe that the days of Hyperspin are slowly fading away and I think Launchbox is the most logical replacement.

There are big differences in the law between personal use and selling other people's work. A lot of us put a lot of money and effort towards purchasing any game that is available to purchase (myself included). I recognize that not everyone can do that, and I also recognize the ridiculousness of paying $10 for a 20 year old game, but saying that everyone in emulation is playing illegally is very false and also very bad for the scene.

35 minutes ago, jimh54 said:

It seems to me that everyone that makes this kind of system is doing so illegally because none of the roms

It's not only about the selling of roms, it's about profiting off the art work that people make and put out there for free and the emulators that have it in their licenses that they are not to be used in a "commercial product".

These hard drive sellers are scum, they piss off artists and emulator devs to the point that they sometimes just quit the scene entirely or keep all their stuff private which helps no one.

Kondorito, Thank you for that most useful link and instructions. That is exactly what I am looking for.

Jason, Lordmonkus, I fully understand your point. I mis spoke, I did not mean to imply that everyone is guilty of piracy. I have been in the computer and internet scene since they have been around. (yea, I'm an old man) So I too have an enormous collection of legacy Software and hardware too. From Apple II, Commodore, 3DO, PS, etc. I have many consoles and systems. So I completely get what you are saying. I only purchased the drives from some guy on ebay. They are used and I purchased them because I'm too lazy and lack the knowledge to build the complete system. So, many of the roms I have real media for. I thank you for making the process as easy as it is to build from scratch. I am sorry, I did not mean to offend.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jimh54 said:

Kondorito, Thank you for that most useful link and instructions. That is exactly what I am looking for.

Jason, Lordmonkus, I fully understand your point. I mis spoke, I did not mean to imply that everyone is guilty of piracy. I have been in the computer and internet scene since they have been around. (yea, I'm an old man) So I too have an enormous collection of legacy Software and hardware too. From Apple II, Commodore, 3DO, PS, etc. I have many consoles and systems. So I completely get what you are saying. I only purchased the drives from some guy on ebay. They are used and I purchased them because I'm too lazy and lack the knowledge to build the complete system. So, many of the roms I have real media for. I thank you for making the process as easy as it is to build from scratch. I am sorry, I did not mean to offend.

Sure, sorry for any false assumptions we made. It can be a touchy subject around here.