LaunchBox Community Forums

Exiting Game Emulator in Retroarch to Go Back to Launchbox

jarpenner

Hi Folks,

I am putting the final touches on my Launchbox (Licenced Version) HTPC system and have one minor issue to sort out.  I have most of my emulators running through Retroarch within Launchbox.  I have mapped my exit game key for use with my XBox 360 PC controller.  When I exit the game it sends me back to the Retroarch UI instead of the Launchbox UI.  I can scroll down within the Retroarch which then takes me back to Launchbox, but I do not want inexperienced users navigating around my precious Retroarch UI.  

How do I go about setting the exit routine to navigate itself back to Launchbox?

Thanks.

John

sounds like your close and menu settings are the same when you back to the RAUI is there an option for quick menu and to resume the game?

I am not sure, but I will check today. I was not sure if I should resolve this issue within Retroarch or Lanchbox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

By default retroarch uses the guide button to bring up the ui, this can be changed in the retroarch input settings to something different. I personally have it left like that as its nice and quick to jump into the quick menu to save/load states. In launchbox/bigbox I have exit emulators set to hold back button and then press start, this can be configured under the automation setting, just choose any button you want as a button to hold down, then pick another button to actually close the emulators. Hope this helps.

I change the menu because Steam already comes up with my guide button I use both the thumbs together. I also don't use the menu for save states I use left thumb which is my hold key and left shoulder to save and left thumb and left trigger to load states RA has some awesome controller features

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:08 PM, DOS76 said:

I change the menu because Steam already comes up with my guide button I use both the thumbs together. I also don't use the menu for save states I use left thumb which is my hold key and left shoulder to save and left thumb and left trigger to load states RA has some awesome controller features

Just to update on this, I didn't realise I could set hotkeys for save/load state in retroarch. I have a xpadder profile where I hold back and left bumper saves and right bumper loads, they are set as f1 and f3 for pcsx rearmed and pcsx2 as those are the default keys for those emu's, so I just changed the hotkeys in retroarch to match and now rarely need the gui at all. Thanks for the tip @DOS76. :) 

NP Neil glad it helped alot of other good things you can map too I use the hold key and up and down dpad to change save slots and left and right to change saved shaders hold and x axis on right stick to do volume control. Its a very powerful feature with a ton of options

10 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

NP Neil glad it helped alot of other good things you can map too I use the hold key and up and down dpad to change save slots and left and right to change saved shaders hold and x axis on right stick to do volume control. Its a very powerful feature with a ton of options

Oh are you actually setting a hold key in retroarch then? Sorry bit dense there lol, As I said I have a default xpadder profile which is just normal 360 controls and a hold button (back) and l and r bumper, I also have escape on start because sometimes automation does not trigger a exit from bigbox.

On 1/19/2017 at 8:49 AM, neil9000 said:

By default retroarch uses the guide button to bring up the ui, this can be changed in the retroarch input settings to something different. I personally have it left like that as its nice and quick to jump into the quick menu to save/load states. In launchbox/bigbox I have exit emulators set to hold back button and then press start, this can be configured under the automation setting, just choose any button you want as a button to hold down, then pick another button to actually close the emulators. Hope this helps.

I cannot seem to find the "Guide" button mapping that you are referring to.

I have mapped both my XBox 360 controller  "Start" and "Select" buttons to be my exit routine from games using Retroarch.  When I press the "Start" and "Select" buttons, when in the game, I am still being brought back to Retroarch rather than back to Launchbox when I exit a game.

Edited by jarpenner