LaunchBox Community Forums

ROM file doesn't want to import

alexis524

6 hours ago, chunk12784 said:

Does Launchbox even detect anything anymore.  Have been trying to import my stuff and while Launchbox worked fine for about 2 days now it refuses to import one rom. I'm going to lose my mind if I have to manually add everything.  

Launchbox still works just fine, in fact it doesnt care one jot what your file is it will import anything. Are you getting a "0 games imported" message? If so then that is because that game is already imported, and possibly hidden for some reason. So either find where the existing entry is, or on the last page of the import wizard click the "force import duplicates" box, this will do as it says but you will of course have two entrys of the same game then.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, pixelcide said:

I've encountered this same problem. It has to do with the game not appearing in the metadata at all. Sometimes if the game isn't in the metadata, it will link the game to another one that does exist in the metadata, that is similar. If this similar game is already imported to your collection or in the process of importing, it will mistakenly think it is a duplicate. You gotta check force duplicates on the last step of the import wizard and then clean up the mistake individually.

This is the closest I've come to an explanation on what's likely going on here. Thanks for this; at least it helps us identify what's happening (in a valid scenario that we don't already know is impossible).

It would help to know what platforms and games anyone in this thread is experiencing this on.

• 4 years later...

This morning i was trying to import the Sega AI Computer recently acquired by some “SMS Power” funs and preservation community (more to read here: https://www.smspower.org/SegaAI/Index#Introduction).

This Platform runs under MAME as the guys from the community in collaboration with the MAME developers dump the machine and the roms into MAME for preservation.

I manage to run the system in the standalone MAME successfully but i want to import them into LaunchBox too.

The System has about 33 rom (.zip) files and 2 Bios (at the time of this post)

So, i drug n drop the all the rom (.zip) files on the LaunchBox window, choose "Import ROM files", did not check any checkboxes for downloading media or metadata, check the "Force Importing Duplicate Games" box, but 0 games imported!

I also tried to use the "Force using MAME metadata..." option but also failed (as expected).

The only way i was manage to import the files is by doing it completely manually, one-by-one using the ‘RClick > Add’ method and fill in the “ROM file” and “Title Metadata” boxes.

I have to mention that i had experience this "behavior" using the import wizard some times in the past but as i have a fairly large collection i assumed the problem lied in the duplicate names or the duplicate "Launchbox Database IDs" that some games share or something like that, but i don’t know what’s wrong in this situation.

I will try as the next step to use the JoeViking245s "MAME Sofware List Importer":

and report back.