LaunchBox Community Forums

ROMs vs ISOs for MAME

MerlinArcade

14 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

You didn't connect it to the internet to download roms. You downloaded a bios file to actually make the system work because out of the box it did not do anything.

"Bung maintains copies of a program on the Internet that allows users to make unauthorized copies of the games."

http://itlaw.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_of_America_v._Bung_Enterprises

Yeah, it was a bios file for the V64 that allowed the unit to make backups. Like I said, I actually owned one of these units along with friends of mine. I even owned one of these for SNES and Genesis.

1-mgh_front_view.jpg

But this has nothing to do with your original question at all. Making backups for personal use is not the issue at all but re-selling the roms in any format is.

Legally your best bet is to do it the way RetroPie does things.

Make your hardware to sell.

Have a disk image that has all the software (minus the roms) to download for free like the RetroPie.

Put a USB stick in the hardware and it will then generate all the rom folders then put the USB stick back in your main PC and the user copies their roms to the appropriate folders on the USB stick. Then plug the USB stick back into the cabinet and it will copy the roms over to the drive in the cabinet.

I will have all the folders ready including Launchbox and BB and also have the USB stick for them to copy the ROMs they want to add in the cabinet but tell them that if they do that, they take full responsability for that meaning that they will have to buy the CDs or cartridge to be legal like X-Arcade does.

I know that I cannot sell MAME but don't know the difference between selling the cabinet and giving away MAME in it for free and sell the cabinet and let them download on my website the MAME software so that they install it.

If the cabinet comes already with MAME, them they may think that I'm selling MAME while in fact it's free but because they will be the ones downloading it then I won't have to face those issues because the cabinet will not come with the ROMs nor MAME already installed.

The difference is in that is what the license that Mame falls under does not allow it to be packaged in with a commercial product.

I also hope that since you are planning on having Launchbox with it that you have a deal worked out with @Jason Carrif you are packaging in the premium BigBox mode. You also need to consider the operating system as well since you are talking about a Windows only program like Launchbox.

1 minute ago, lordmonkus said:

The difference is in that is what the license that Mame falls under does not allow it to be packaged in with a commercial product.

I also hope that since you are planning on having Launchbox with it that you have a deal worked out with @Jason Carrif you are packaging in the premium BigBox mode. You also need to consider the operating system as well since you are talking about a Windows only program like Launchbox.

Yeah Jason knows already and as for Windows, my cabinets will come with a PC in it already installed and setup.

I think that this 2nd approach of letting clients download a zip file with MAME already configured to match with the cabinets ROMs directories and the X-arcade tankstick controller will be a safe bet for me.

The more legal responsabilities I can dump on my clients, the safer I am. After all, it's never the end user that gets sued, it's always the front company. 

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

yep LB would have even more restrictions than MAME since it is privately owned software. MAME won't care that you are selling the cabs and MAME is free they care that you are selling them and MAME comes with it period.

Ok but it's hard to convince in court that the cabinet cost money but the MAME inside was free. Follow me?

5 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Mames license strictly prohibits it being packaged with a commercial product, it's right in the license for it, much like most other emulators.

Yeah and the keyword here is "packaged" meaning coming with the cabinet. Therefore the need to separate them.

As for letting clients download it for free on a commercial device then suck it up MAME, ALL the PCs that have downloaded your MAME are commercial devices. That will be an easy win for me in court if they go that route.

Edited by MerlinArcade

Yeah, I will say that as much as I wanted us to sell cabinets ourselves, the restrictions with distributing emulators alone pretty much prevents it, unless we force the user to do all the setup work, which kind of defeats the purpose. I was pretty excited about it at first but every time I turn around there's another thing that gets in the way, so it probably won't happen for us.

Honestly, I'm not sure it's worth the legal trouble at this point.

Seriously, if you are going to pursue this you really should get a lawyer to make sure all your bases are covered. Make sure with 100% certainty that you are covered when it comes to the OS and all other software licenses. Getting a lawyer who specializes in all of this tangled shit will save you a lot of possible future headaches.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, I will say that as much as I wanted us to sell cabinets ourselves, the restrictions with distributing emulators alone pretty much prevents it, unless we force the user to do all the setup work, which kind of defeats the purpose. I was pretty excited about it at first but every time I turn around there's another thing that gets in the way, so it probably won't happen for us.

Honestly, I'm not sure it's worth the legal trouble at this point.

Yeah I know and that's why I contacted Nintendo, the ESA and X-Gaming and asked them a bunch of questions and they don't seem to be bothered as long as I buy the CDs first (PS 2 or else) to cover the ROM games but as we see here in this conversation, it's always better to build the hardware and them let the end user download the software so that they take full responsibilities