LaunchBox Community Forums

Wired USB controller for Launchbox on Windows - Looking for Recommendations

zorkiii

11 minutes ago, fromlostdays said:

I had the same issues with wireless ps4 controllers. That's why if I could go wired, I'd use them, but otherwise sticking with the Xbox One Elite.

Yeah these things when connected via direct USB cables are rock solid, played a ton of four player Arcade games through MAME with friends with all of them connected via USB on Saturday night and had zero issues. It is a great controller, though I need to figure out how to adjust the analog stick sensitivity for several games. Some games when I attempt to move left or right it's on super speed and impossible to control. I don't think that is the fault of the controller at all and more a Mame setting, I think.... I need to work on that yet. 

Edited by zorkiii

27 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

You can adjust those by pulling up the tab menu and going to the Analog Controls section and adjusting the various sensitivity settings. Some games definitely do require some fine-tuning.

Ah okay, thanks @Zombeaver. Yeah in games like APB All Points Bulletin for instance, the analog stick controls cause the car to turn insanely fast. I am not at home by my emu PC so I will have to try this out later with the tab menu. Do you by chance have a screenshot of the specific menu? Not any problem if not. Thanks.

No, I don't have a screenshot (I'm not home at the moment either) but it's one of the main sections when you hit Tab. It's just called Analog Controls.

I will warn you that adjusting them can take some getting used to. You might want to take a look at the second post in this thread (the one by Derrick Renaud) for some pointers. It can take a bit to get things dialed in where you need them - luckily you can do this while the game is running so you can tweak, hit tab to test it, hit tab to tweak it some more, etc.

1 minute ago, Zombeaver said:

No, I don't have a screenshot (I'm not home at the moment either) but it's one of the main sections when you hit Tab. It's just called Analog Controls.

I will warn you that adjusting them can take some getting used to. You might want to take a look at the second post in this thread (the one by Derrick Renaud) for some pointers. It can take a bit to get things dialed in where you need them - luckily you can do this while the game is running so you can tweak, hit tab to test it, hit tab to tweak it some more, etc.

A million thanks!

No problem! The defaults work decently well in a lot of cases but occasionally you'll run into ones that are just way off like Rad Mobile and Discs of Tron. I find that racing games, in particular, seem to have the tendency to be problematic (overly sensitive by default).

Unrelated, but but per your avatar, Montezuma's Revenge is one of my all-time favorites on the C64 :D It's hard as balls (like a lot of games back then) but a great game. EDIT: Noes...you changed it :(

@Zombeaver I did have it as Montezuma's Revenge for a few minutes there, I realized I didn't have an icon and thought I'd put something in but couldn't make up my mind. Haha yes, I love your design! I just changed it again to your design if you don't mind, and nice work. I first fell in love with the game on the Atari 2600. I had an Atari growing up but my parents never bought me the game. A friend in school had it and I played it at his house every time I came over. Eventually when my parents bought a Commodore 64 I got a copy of Montezuma's and played the hell out of it. It is a frustratingly hard game!  

Edited by zorkiii