LaunchBox Community Forums

Gog icons

Darkxide

Hey is there any good way to use the GoG icon files (which are high res) as the box art front in my collection.

Right now i'm doing it like this

- Open the .ico file in GIMP and export it as png

- Delete the low res ones included in the ico file so I only get the high res icon

- Save the edited png

- Manually add the png as my boxfront

I have about 200 GoG games so doing all of it manually is quite the hassle. Was wondering if there are faster ways.

Screenshot_3.png

Where do you find these exactly? I've got about 250 games on GOG and I'm not finding these in the extras for any of them. I thought it might be "Avatars" in the extras but those are just jpgs.

I don't have Alan Wake on GOG or I'd look for that one.

I did find this which has some interesting stuff:

http://www.iconarchive.com/category/game-icons.by-date.1.html

17 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Where do you find these exactly? I've got about 250 games on GOG and I'm not finding these in the extras for any of them. I thought it might be "Avatars" in the extras but those are just jpgs.

I don't have Alan Wake on GOG or I'd look for that one.

I did find this which has some interesting stuff:

http://www.iconarchive.com/category/game-icons.by-date.1.html

These are found in the main directory of the games usually under the name gog-(number).

18 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Hey, this is a really neat idea!

Probably the fastest way would be a batch-convert from .ico to .png format. I've never done it with .ico files but IrfanView can batch convert image format and appears to support .icos.

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it but the problem is the icon file has like 4 different ones in it (see attachment) so IrfanView only opens up the small one (which is used as icon for the exe file). 

Screenshot_4.png

3 hours ago, Darkxide said:

These are found in the main directory of the games usually under the name gog-(number).

It would be nice if someone with a big collection of installed (!!) GOG games would upload them somewhere.

I have 400+ GOG games (22 installed*), but installing them all just to get the .ico files is crazy!  -_-

*Anyway, here are mine: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t1gu8wog97vtfhh/AACnoRBcg1v2bWwmLxq4sYU_a?dl=0

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darkxide said:

Ah I see what you're saying now - they're actually in the install directory. I thought these were some kind of extras like the Avatars, Manuals, etc. that you can get from their site. Having to actually install everything to get the .icos is kindof a nightmare :/ I've got about 250 games on GOG but probably only 40ish installed.

4 hours ago, Darkxide said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it but the problem is the icon file has like 4 different ones in it (see attachment) so IrfanView only opens up the small one (which is used as icon for the exe file).

Yep I tried it and I see what you're saying. That's unfortunate. IrfanView is a great bulk image converter but this is kindof a weird situation and it seems like it's only pulling the smallest image. I actually tried opening one in Photoshop out of curiosity but it wouldn't even open it - it doesn't seem to know what to do with it. I'm wondering if maybe it needs an additional plugin or something to open them.

Hmm...