LaunchBox Community Forums

Multiple input settings for controller, Retroarch

Bedwyr

3 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

I think it's called Per Game when you load a game and open up the quick menu. There's two, for the core and for that game now.

That's something different. Overrides and "content specific core options" aren't for the same thing. It's in the post :)

Per-game and per-core overrides have no impact on altered core options.

Yeah I've really really liked this update. It's the first time I haven't felt like I had to do a bunch of external backend crap to get things to work the way I wanted in a large variety of situations.

Like I said earlier I've been in the ongoing process of sweeping through pretty much all of my stuff that's for systems that are more on the finicky side (things like NES or SNES I can basically just put in some settings and leave it alone but not as much for some platforms). Per-core/per-game overrides and remaps have covered about 99% of that but tonight I noticed that changes I made to core options stuck even if I saved a per-game override. "Content specific core options" is the way to set them per-game. Obviously this has even more niche use than overrides and remaps but there's a number of things you could do with it. You could with Mednafen PSX, for example, set a specific game to use the vulkan renderer and software for another, enable the widescreen hack for one game and disable it for another, set the internal resolution as X for one game and Y for another... Any number of things, depending on what's in the core options.

For what ever reason sound overrides are not working for me. I managed to get remap over rides to work correctly. I open the quick menu, exit out to settings, audio, adjust the db level as need, go back into quick menu and save game over ride. Reload the game and the DB does show the level it should but it sounds as low as it originally did. Weird. 

1 minute ago, keltoigael said:

For what ever reason sound overrides are not working for me. I managed to get remap over rides to work correctly. I open the quick menu, exit out to settings, audio, adjust the db level as need, go back into quick menu and save game over ride. Reload the game and the DB does show the level it should but it sounds as low as it originally did. Weird. 

Are you actually exiting and relaunching RA when you do that? I found that's what I had to do for that specifically.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 4:42 PM, Bedwyr said:

Still, that doesn't work if you want to split shader settings between GB and GBC games unless you provide a shader override for each game.

So I just added Game Boy and Game Boy Color to my library tonight, both setup to use the Gambatte core, and I did some experimenting to see what the best solution was for dealing with this specific situation.

What I ended up doing was duplicating my retroarch.cfg in the base RA directory - copying it into the config folder, and making two copies - one named "Gambatte_GB.cfg" and the other "Gambatte_GBC.cfg" and then specifying those configs for those platforms in LB:

58c39ed13b339_RAList.thumb.png.a300af6456b540167d736a50731a234e.png

Then, load up a Game Boy game, set your shader, exit; load up a Game Boy Color game, set your shader, exit. Voila! Separate shaders for each, no per-game shader overrides necessary.

The one really important thing here is that you cannot create a per-core override in this scenario because if you do the override will then apply to both (because it's the same core) - because it overrides the base config (in this case Gambatte_GB.cfg or Gambatte_GBC.cfg). This doesn't actually limit you in any way since you're essentially using those configs in functionally the same way as a core override - the changes you make will only affect games you load with that config.

58c39ee453b4c_Gamebatte-1.thumb.png.b2e3d3494791ffb2076657fd606c49dc.png58c39ee9d57d2_Gamebatte-2.thumb.png.438b712aad8febb2db13b18960d16005.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

Does that in theory mean you could actually save 2 different settings for the same game by naming them game_01 and game_02 not that there would be much use for it.

I suppose you could, yeah. You'd need to setup the game to use custom command line parameters in LB to direct the config to it, and then I guess do an additional app version for the second config.

But yeah I can't really think of a good reason to do this haha. It's not particularly practical.

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

Does that in theory mean you could actually save 2 different settings for the same game by naming them game_01 and game_02 not that there would be much use for it.

You can apply -L and -C to a per-game basis too.

I always did teach the custom config method because I thought it was more powerful, and I did swear I also said you could apply two custom configs to the same core for different systems, but yea, this is a perfect use for custom configs.

15 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

You can apply -L and -C to a per-game basis too.

I always did teach the custom config method because I thought it was more powerful, and I did swear I also said you could apply two custom configs to the same core for different systems, but yea, this is a perfect use for custom configs.

Well at this point with the advent of overrides, custom configs are, generally speaking, complete overkill and more time consuming to implement. Outside of this specific situation, per-core and per-game overrides will take care of pretty much anything you could need and are way more convenient.

36 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Well at this point with the advent of overrides, custom configs are, generally speaking, complete overkill and more time consuming to implement. Outside of this specific situation, per-core and per-game overrides will take care of pretty much anything you could need and are way more convenient.

Sure, overrides seem to not be broken anymore either. I still prefer the custom config method myself, but I can't explain why. xD

• 1 year later...

Sorry to wake up this old thread but i'm trying to follow the instructions and I think I got everything right, but retroarch keep crashing!

I want to assign different overlays for GB/GBC with Gambatte (and eventually do Sega CD/Genesis/32x/etc)... 

Did like you said, took my retroarch cfg and saved it in the cfg folder.  

Then in LB I edit the retroarch config and when I go into the associated platforms, and add the command-line parameters, and retroarch crashes each time...  as soon as i change it to

-L "cores\gambatte_libretro.dll" -c "config\Gambatte_GB.cfg"

It crashes.  And yes... there is a config file called that exact name in my config folder.  What else could cause it?  Does retroarch still support that feature?gambatte01.thumb.png.20878a5bfb05ce8cbb2694b96bd76a5b.pnggambatte02.png.aac4b53a1923201390d8a1a7a3330690.png

EDIT : I think I screwed it up myself... at first I only saw Game Boy Color, so I added Game Boy at the bottom on it's own line...  now Gameboy AND Gameboy color games won't launch, even without the -c parameter....  they launch fine when launched directly from retroarch.... I have no idea what's going on...

Thanks!

Edited by stefer09