LaunchBox Community Forums

RocketLauncher or Not

jayray442

Hello, I am using Rocketlauncher with Big Box for all the automation offered by the RL and I am very happy about the operation of the RL with the BB.
Remapping keys for games to my liking, quit games and emulators, Hyperpause, put bezels and Scainlines, Faders, screens load and decompression.
I really like the combination of Rl + BB. ;)

I just moved from HS to LB and the fact that I had a working RL setup already made the switch as easy as pie. I just had to import my roms and then select RL as the emulator in LB and presto everything worked just like it did in HS!! 

If if you already use it then I would suggest sticking with RL!!

• Like 1

If you are going to use RL then you should let it deal with all the emulators. Make sure you set it up as an emulator in LB, Just use the rom import function on Launchbox and then choose Rocketlauncher as the emu. I went thru all this last week and I now have over 44000 games all setup and launching with a LB/RL combo ?

Maybe something has changed since I did it. When I switched to the LB plugin none of my systems showed up in RL anymore. But instead of adding them to RL directly, I added them to launchbox and RL autoimports them. I just mean rom lists. It's backwards from what I was used to. Import roms unto LB. Open RL, imported roms show up, set emulator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, fromlostdays said:

Maybe something has changed since I did it. When I switched to the LB plugin none of my systems showed up in RL anymore. But instead of adding them to RL directly, I added them to launchbox and RL autoimports them. I just mean rom lists. It's backwards from what I was used to. Import roms unto LB. Open RL, imported roms show up, set emulator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

In RL go to RocketlauncherUi tab, then setting and set Launchbox as your default and active frontend. Then RL will use all your existing emulators and settings from before for Launchbox. 

Have a a google for SimplyAustins Launchbox and Rocketlauncher tutorial vid. He explains it sooo much better, follow his vid step by step and all will be hunky dory!!!!

Edit: here's the link to the video

Edited by nikeymikey
  • Like 1

This is only necessary for arcade, again because selecting MAME as the emulator on import triggers LB to give you a lot of extra importing options, so you want to do that (as opposed to just setting up RL as the emulator from the beginning). So import with MAME as the emulator, and then after import, in LB hit control + A to select all the games, right click, and select Edit. This will let you Bulk Edit all of the games at once. Then just change the emulator from MAME to Rocketlauncher. 

On 22/02/2017 at 0:07 AM, fromlostdays said:

This is only necessary for arcade, again because selecting MAME as the emulator on import triggers LB to give you a lot of extra importing options, so you want to do that (as opposed to just setting up RL as the emulator from the beginning). So import with MAME as the emulator, and then after import, in LB hit control + A to select all the games, right click, and select Edit. This will let you Bulk Edit all of the games at once. Then just change the emulator from MAME to Rocketlauncher. 

Wouldn't this only work properly if you have the exact same game database set up in Rocketlauncher?? 

Im gonna play around with this later....

On 26/02/2017 at 4:20 PM, fromlostdays said:

Rocketlauncher is automatically going to read your lb database and use that, if everything is set up right. You don't need to add any systems or games directly to rocketlauncher.

That good to know, i just assumed it was still using the database from my Hyperspin install. I didnt notice any difference because im using the same romsets.

On 22/02/2017 at 0:07 AM, fromlostdays said:

I have just done exactly this.... but.... After the import had finished i only have 3822 games in my MAME platform. Now this is not a problem because its not counting all the clones, these are added as additional apps to the parent rom. 

The problem i have is (I will use SF2CE for this as it has lots of clones/hacks) when i right click on SF2CE i get the list of all the hacks etc but when i try to launch one, it fails. I get a brief flash of the MAME "Initialising" screen and then straight back to LB. If i try to launch the main SF2CE then it works, i get the RocketLauncher fade screen, can use HyperPause etc.

I think the problem lies with the additional apps section, for some reason its ignoring RL and launching directly with MAME (which was the original emulator i used when importing). I used the Bulk Edit function to change the emulator from MAME to RL but I think the Bulk Edit function is only editing the main roms and not the additional apps.

Phew that was hard to explain :) 

@Jason Carr any ideas? maybe this is a bug in the bulk edit function?

Edited by nikeymikey

Ah, that is something I hadn't thought about @nikeymikey. Yes, the bulk edit will only update the emulator on the main default ROM, not all the additional applications. So, hmm. You'd probably be best off just deleting the games and re-importing them. You can keep all your media and not download any media the second time, which should make it pretty quick to just re-import.