LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox Portability

jeck11

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

It should "JUST RUN" on a windows 10 machine if it doesn't, you just install the latest version on top of what you already have and it should detect during install if you are missing anything, if you are it should prompt to update.

OK thank you. I'm finding that it doesn't run when I move it over but I think that may be due to the emulators I'm using. Retroarch seems to be missing DLL's so I need to install the runtimes I linked. I wonder if I could find new emulators that won't require the update...

Ahh, for launchbox to be portable, all the emulators and roms need to be in the launchbox folder, also if retroarch is missing .dll that is often a directx issue as you said, but often if you reinstall retroarch it will add those .dll I say re download retroarch and install it somewhere else and see if it runs, if it does copy and paste the .dll to your current install.

I just tried downloading and unzipping to a few different locations. None of them seem to come with the DLL's. 

Just to give some more background....   The PC I'm on right now is locked down and I can't install software on it. So I was going to install the runtimes on a home 64 bit PC then do a find for the DLL's as they are listed by Retroarch to replace on this PC. That way I don't have to google it and I still get the proper files over to this PC. I can't test it till I get home tonight though. Thoughts?

1 minute ago, jeck11 said:

I just tried downloading and unzipping to a few different locations. None of them seem to come with the DLL's. 

Just to give some more background....   The PC I'm on right now is locked down and I can't install software on it. So I was going to install the runtimes on a home 64 bit PC then do a find for the DLL's as they are listed by Retroarch to replace on this PC. That way I don't have to google it and I still get the proper files over to this PC. I can't test it till I get home tonight though. Thoughts?

Wow, would of been nice to know at the start!!!

1. Retroarch does not need installing, you just unzip it to a folder.

2. Retroarch comes with all its .dll's look.

Screenshot (25).png

LOL, for f***ks sake., you gave no really helpful information at the start, then came out with you are on a locked down PC that you cant install to. Nothing I say is going to be able to help you I'm afraid.

Please come back to me with questions once you are on a system you can actually use to install programs on, and I may be able to help.

That may seem harsh, but I cant help you, if you cant do anything yourself on that pc then know one else can help either. 

Launchbox is portable but it does have certain dependencies (as will most emulators like Retroarch) like Direct X and .NET Framework; both of these should be included when installing/updating LB however. If you're unable to actually install software and those dependencies aren't met, you may be out of luck unfortunately. The specific .dll that's mentioned in the error is installed by Direct X.

@neil9000 assistance is always appreciated, but tone it down a little bit - not everyone is tech savvy; there are plenty of people out there that might not know things that some of us take for granted. @jeck11 has been polite and courteous, so try to be the same.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Launchbox is portable but it does have certain dependencies (as will most emulators like Retroarch) like Direct X and .NET Framework; both of these should be included when installing/updating LB however. If you're unable to actually install software and those dependencies aren't met, you may be out of luck unfortunately. The specific .dll that's mentioned in the error is installed by Direct X.

@neil9000 assistance is always appreciated, but tone it down a little bit - not everyone is tech savvy; there are plenty of people out there that might not know things that some of us take for granted. @jeck11 has been polite and courteous, so try to be the same.

Apologies.

10 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Apologies.

I know you were well intentioned! You just gotta remember that while some of us work on this stuff every day for others its entirely new; and some things might not be so obvious if that's the case. Everybody's gotta start somewhere. @jeck11 is a new member to the community so let's not scare him off just yet :P

• Like 2

@Zombeaver is spot-on here; certain Direct X libraries are required, as well as the .NET framework 4.6.1 (actually now 4.6.2 for the latest beta). Unfortunately if you're locked out of being able to install those on your machine, you probably won't be able to use the app. I'm not aware of a way to install Direct X or the .NET framework by just copying DLLs.

5 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

I know you were well intentioned! You just gotta remember that while some of us work on this stuff every day for others its entirely new; and some things might not be so obvious if that's the case. Everybody's gotta start somewhere. @jeck11 is a new member to the community so let's not scare him off just yet :P

I totally agree, I spent a few hours today trying to help people with questions, I just had a off minute!!

• Like 1