LaunchBox Community Forums

3DO Emulators 4DO any word if it's completely dead?

ALIE

2 hours ago, Crush said:

Phoenix is a good 3DO emulator: http://www.arts-union.ru/node/23

It is in Russian but i can provide a rough translation file in English if anyone wants it.

Actually, if this is the emulator I'm thinking of, I saw this last night after I posted on the thread. 4DO is still good, but I do want to check this one out, and I found a fully translated version of it.

Edit: Here - http://ngemu.com/threads/phoenix-project-3do-emulator-translated-into-english.191753/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crush said:

It is in Russian but i can provide a rough translation file in English if anyone wants it.

I would love that or if Brad finds that English version maybe he can share it. I was reading and maybe it's bragging or a bad translation but do they claim 100% compatibility?  If it's so good why isn't it more know.

Nevertheless very interesting. 

1 minute ago, SentaiBrad said:

I did post the link, check my edit. I don't know much about it's claims, or it's compatibility vs 4DO, but another emulator doesn't hurt.

Definitely can't wait to put it to the test if it's claims is true that be an amazing surprise. 

And thanks for the link @SentaiBrad

Also a big thanks @Crushfor showing us this :). 

Edited by ALIE

ok i have added my bios picked a game and its under the cd rom menu but i have no idea how to play anything :)

ok got confused that the logos below had to be grey for it to work.  

now i just need to figure out how to make controllers work but the setup screen makes little sense.

got it not confusing just me being stupdio.

Edited by ALIE

1 hour ago, spycat said:

The 4DO emulator uses the following parameters for LaunchBox to run the games

-StartFullScreen -StartLoadFile

I assumed we were talking about Phoenix. If you use 4DO in RetroArch you only need the regular RetroArch commands, and if you sue MESS you only need the MESS commands.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/02/2017 at 2:59 PM, Crush said:

Thanks Crush! Finally got round to trying Phoenix and wow what an amazing emulator! I tried Alone in the Dark which has always had emulation problems, (looks hideous in retroarch, sounds hideous in 4do) and it ran perfectly! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to suport command lines and it seems that rocketlauncher doesn't support the new version either :(

29 minutes ago, Belgarath said:

I trawled through google translations of the russian forum and found no mention of command lines, You're right it may support command lines but I'm willing to bet it doesn't.

I have got it working through rocketlauncher now though

How did you makes work in RL? 

Even if the site doesn't say it, it still might. I've come across many emulators with basic or custom command line parameters and it's not put down in an easy to find location like a documentations page or a wiki page. RetroArch's commands for example are not easy to find. They are now that our website has tons and tons of mentions of them (which is why we get a ton of RetroArch questions now), but that didn't happen overnight. Getting in contact with the translator or the developer would be best. Obviously the dev is the best choice, but the translator may be easier to reach.

39 minutes ago, ALIE said:

How did you makes work in RL? 

open the phoenix.ahk with a text editor (should be in RocketLauncher\Modules\Phoenix) delete everything there and replace it with the code in this thread http://www.rlauncher.com/forum/showthread.php?4160

I used the first code example, however it gave me a problem which turned out to be this line

dialogOpen := i18n ("dialog.open")    ; Looking up local translation

I changed it to

dialogOpen := ("dialog.open")    ; Looking up local translation

The other problem is Phoenix has it's own database and you need to load your games individually in phoenix first which will add them to the phoenix.config.xml

There is an example config in the rocketlauncher thread but even after editing the paths and filenames I still had a lot of problems with it, it's safer to load the games yourself in phoenix first.

Once you've done all that it should work from rocketlauncher and of course then works from launchbox if you set rocketlauncher as the emulator.

Hope that's clear(ish) but I'm shattered and off to bed now, any problems I'll try and help with in the morn.

• Like 1