LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox and Big Box slow on Gaming PC

TheShorterBus

i7-2700k

GTX 970

32GB RAM

Launchbox even opening options takes a long time, and Big Box runs quite slow and also crashes half frequently.
Anyone know what it could be? 
I launch Cemu at 4K and have no issues, back to the front end, and everything is sluggish. 

My work laptop while a good computer runs it all smoother, despite being under powered comparatively. 

Edited by TheShorterBus

Well, it's not exactly black and white. What type of RAM are you using? Also keep in mind, that CPU is a second gen i7. What Ghz is it running at as well? Past that, is your library still caching, and what size is your library? Are you on Windows 7 or 10? Also, have you done anything to keep your Windows install clean?

6 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Well, it's not exactly black and white. What type of RAM are you using? Also keep in mind, that CPU is a second gen i7. What Ghz is it running at as well? Past that, is your library still caching, and what size is your library? Are you on Windows 7 or 10? Also, have you done anything to keep your Windows install clean?

Windows 10, 3.5 clock, don't think it's still caching. Ram is only ddr3 clocked at 2300 i think? but maybe it's time for me to clean install this. 

You shouldn't have to reinstall your entire OS just because one program isn't working very well. That's just nuts.

Your specs seem more than enough for this application. 

I would suggest you try out some of the things at the link @lordmonkus gave you.

Launchbox is a bit weird in my experience as far as performing what you would think would be a simple operation, such as opening an Options dialog. The Options dialog opens quite slow for me too, but that has been an on and off things in various versions of LB. Options opening slowly, while annoying, isn't really a huge deal to me, although quite curious :)

Bigbox navigation is also quite slow and jerky for me too, but I've learned that's just the way it goes for now.

I'm guessing it launches your emulators and games just fine, but you are having more of an issue with navigation and configuration slowness?

As far as LB/BB crashing goes, that just shouldn't happen and you should click the Issues/Requests link at the top of this page and submit all the details you can so @Jason Carr can fix it.  

Just to somewhat rule out other programs on your system that are running in the background and possibly slowing LB/BB down for you, you might try booting up in Windows Safe Mode and seeing if the same slowness still exists with Launchbox. If it's much faster that way, then you know you need to start figuring out which program(s) are running in the background and slowing things down. Could be things like antivirus/malware apps, desktop indexing, system/file backup programs, or anything that is told to watch the execution of other programs or watch the files inside the folders in your LB folder and other places.

All that said, LB/BB is really great and I love it, but I think this comes up enough that more development time should be put into making the program run better and smoother on less than a Hercules super computer system, even if that just means the ability to disable some things in LB.  Just my two cents...

It might be cool if LB had a single setting with various performance levels that adjusted all the many LB/BB settings that are related to performance based on the setting chosen, but could be overwritten in individual settings afterwords. So, maybe setting "Light" could give you all settings that would improve performance as much as could possibly be set in an automatic way (yes it could mean things will look uglier!). That could be used on a slower system up to super computer. The settings could still be tweaked individually. This new setting would just let you reset them to a chosen set of settings right then and there. Maybe also the ability to save your current custom settings as name xxx as well. Seems like a fairly simple development effort that could possibly help people out a lot.