LaunchBox Community Forums

Hi Everyone.

Streetwise Crew

Hi everyone. First time of posting. What a amazing product. I went premium pretty fast, such a doddal to set up. I just wonder if there is a tutorial to set up medafen standalone in lauchbox. The emulator works well for me better than in retroarch but I can't set up in launchbox. I've google and search no luck. Does this mean it can not be done. 

Thanks in advance. 

Chris 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

There aren't any that I ever made, except for the Mednafen (now Beetle) cores in RetroArch. It's a very similar set up as Mednafen, but Mednafen requires much more complicated command line parameters. What systems are you looking to setting up?

this true though it emulates so many systems it's like Pandora's Box to mess with! But, well worth it in the end if you can tame it

Just now, RetroGaming said:

this true though it emulates so many systems it's like Pandora's Box to mess with! But, well worth it in the end if you can tame it

Most of them are cores in RetroArch though and the command line parameter is much simpler. Unless there is a preference reason: RetroArch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Streetwise Crew said:

Hi everyone. First time of posting. What a amazing product. I went premium pretty fast, such a doddal to set up. I just wonder if there is a tutorial to set up medafen standalone in lauchbox. The emulator works well for me better than in retroarch but I can't set up in launchbox. I've google and search no luck. Does this mean it can not be done. 

Thanks in advance. 

Chris 

It's not significantly different from anything else. I use standalone Mednafen for a handful of Saturn games. Basically you just add it as an emulator in Launchbox ("manage emulators"), go to the associated platform tab and enter the platform you want to use it with, and then put in the appropriate command line parameters.

@lordmonkus listed the ones he uses (or used) for Saturn here:

Mine are slightly different. It's just your own preference. The specific command line parameters you can use depend on the platform. Mednafen has pretty extensive documentation on these on their site. Click on a platform in the outline and it'll take you to the relevant section with a list of usable command line parameters.

Other than that, it's just a matter of directing the entries in your game library to use Mednafen as the emulator.

Sorry forgot to say Sega Saturn. Got it working standalon. Just can't get it to work in launchbox. I tried to set up like I did dolphin but it didn't like it.  

Zomebeaver should it be as easy as pointing it to Mednafen or more too it. I'll go through the all you write and links after tea. Thanks for everyone's reply. 

18 minutes ago, Streetwise Crew said:

Sorry forgot to say Sega Saturn. Got it working standalon. Just can't get it to work in launchbox. I tried to set up like I did dolphin but it didn't like it.  

Zomebeaver should it be as easy as pointing it to Mednafen or more too it. I'll go through the all you write and links after tea. Thanks for everyone's reply. 

No, like I said, there's command line requirements for it just like RetroArch. You'll need to add the system to the associated platforms page and use the proper command on the default command line parameter box in that associated platforms tab. There was literally a thread about this yesterday. It's -ss something. In RetroArch, it's the same deal with the associated platforms page, but it's just -L "core\<insert core name>.dll".

• Like 1

Are you planning on using Mednafen standalone for anything other than Saturn? If so, you'd want to put the lines into the commmand line parameters field of the "associated platform" tab, in association with the Sega Saturn platform. If you're only going to use it for Saturn you could just put it in the main emulator details tab.

Also, keep in mind that you might not want some of those parameters - like "-ss.scanlines 40" which adds scanlines.

• Like 1