LaunchBox Community Forums

Fairchild Channel F (MAME) running in RetroArch?

J.Beau

Hello and good day everyone!

I'm Jesse and I'm new to LaunchBox. Actually, I'm kind of new to Windows too. After years of using a Mac and a few months of tinkering with emulation on the Raspberry Pi, I decided to buy a more powerful Windows machine. Windows seems to be the best platform for emulation. Anyway, onto my question. I'm trying to get the older 2nd gen consoles to run in RetroArch. Mainly because of the controller support and shaders. I started with the first one, the Fairchild Channel F. I got this to run in MAME (standalone) fairly easy, but I had no luck using the MAME core in RetroArch. Anyone out there who figured it out or could point me in the right direction?

Greetings from The Netherlands!

Jesse

Hey Jesse. Welcome to the fray. :D Firstly, what you're trying t o do isn't easy. I'm not totally sure the mame core supports all the systems that mame currently does. If it does, it will require some setup that I don't personally know how to do. However, new mame has controller support, and you can use launchbox to exit the emulator etc. so using mame proper is by far easier. I do have this system running in RA, but using an old 2015 Mess core and a launcher program called Rocketlauncher. Even Rocketlauncher doesn't support it out the box and I had to mod that a little bit too. No matter which way you slice it, it's going to be a bit of a time investment to run those systems through RA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hey fromlostdays! Thanks for your replies! Seems I'm not the only one who's trying to do the impossible. Been pulling my (beard) hair out man! I'll stick with MAME for now. It's working for the few systems I tried so far. I'm having some trouble with getting the RCA Studio II to work, but I'll figure it out eventually. I really like those old, obscure and almost forgotten systems. Game on! B|

Check out our tutorials, I did a few MESS tutorials before I stopped doing them. The first few were MESS standalone and the last one was regular MAME. Just replace the latest versions of MAME with the versions of MESS i talked about. Ctrl + F MESS to find them quicker. That should get you started. I also link to the documentation and the cross reference website. You look up the system on the site, then you take the BIOS name and check on the document. That's how you'll get your command line. In the latest tutorial too I talked about needing to keep a MESS and MAME system separate. Normally, a MAME split rom set is suggested, but I had issues with the last 2 split sets, so for 182 and 183 I suggest non-merged rom sets (only the latest versions have non-merged, .174-.181 split works well also). Either way, both provide software lists BIOS that you'll need for any system.

• Like 1

Thanks SentaiBrad! I've read (and watched) a lot of (your) information on the topic already. I like your tutorials! I only emulate consoles, so MAME will do for now. Having a lot of fun with Launchbox and the older systems at the moment. Gotta emulate them all :)

• 2 years later...