LaunchBox Community Forums

Added first platform ok but now stuck

Thunderburp

Sweet, glad Derek sorted it out for you! I linked to the Tutorial playlist on the previous screen, but here are specific videos. First will be the 5200 tutorial, but then will be the ColecoVision MESS tutorial I did, where I go through the process on MAME. So watch the second one first (the ColecoVision tutorial), so that way you know what to do, then apply that to the other MESS tutorials. Also, substitute the old MESS / MAME version numbers with the latest versions as well. The third video will be a beginner tutorial in RetroArch just in case you want to give that a watch too.

• Like 1

Thank for the links, I tried to follow the Colecovision video but got as far as adding the bios , I also have the latest merged 184b mame rom set but the colecovision folder does not contain any he bios rom

I then tried to download the bios from another site , but not exactly sure where I should be placing it ? I tried putting into the empty roms folder in my mame folder but none of the games work

Not sure if I have the right bios file and if I'm putting it in the right location

My head hurts now :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Merged will not work. It needs to be split or non-merged. The roms folder in your MAME folder is exactly where it should go. That's the default location MAME is looking. You can change that setting, to add more locations, but if you put the entire romset in there, that's good.

So the games have to go into the mame roms folder too ? I just added the roms like what was shown in the video and I left the files in there original location

So are you saying that if I download a spilt set that will include the bios I need ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Thunderburp

A merged set will include them too, like Derek said above, but your mileage will be best with a split or non-merged rom set. As far as roms in the MAME/roms folder, just stick the MAME rom set in there. Nothing else needs to be in there other than the mame rom set. I could have sworn I said that on some (should have been all) of the MESS tutorials too. It's easiest if your MAME rom set is in there, but you can put it where ever you want, as long as you tell MAME where it is. When you load a non MAME game, even if it is in it's own folder elsewhere, it will know that the BIOS are located in the roms folder because MAME is looking in there by default.

Hi guys , sorry to be a real pain but I still cannot get Colecovisiom to work 

here is what I have done so far ....

1. Downloaded MAME 0183  

2. Downloaded a complete MAME 0183 Split romset (54Gb)

3. Placed the romset into the MAME rom folder 

4. Started LB and added a new platform , pointed it too the Colecovision folder in the rom set

5. Set MAME as the emulator 

Now when I look in the Colecovision rom folder its showing 220 roms but all that EB finds and sets up is just 57 of them , when I try to play any of those 57 I briefly get the mame screen and it says " Initializing "  and then dumps back to the main EB screen 

I have added a few screen shots of my settings etc , could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong ?

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Edited by Thunderburp

For starters I would disable the two check boxes
Don't use quotes...
Use file name only without file extension or folder path...

I'm not really sure where the advice to have these two options enabled when using MAME actually came from, but things work better with those boxes off.