LaunchBox Community Forums

Getting Launchbox to load different IPAC2 configurations

Hunchy

Hi All,

I would like to know if there is a way to get LaunchBox / Bigbox to automatically load IPAC2 configurations when certain games or emulators are loaded. 

Here is an example of what I would like to do:

- My default IPAC2 configuration for my joysticks and buttons is set to MAME 

- When I run a Windows game with non-rebindable controls (e.g. Street Fighter V) I would like LaunchBox / Bigbox to automatically load a new IPAC2 configuration.   

The IPAC2 configuration utility WinIPAC can be run from a command line “Winipac xxx.ipc” where the xxx.ipc is the name of any stored configuration file. Could someone please tell me how to incorporate this into LaunchBox / Bigbox? 

Many thanks! 

Edited by Hunchy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I know this is a old question, but I'll post my solution in that it might help others.

There are several ways of doing this. Launchbox includes pre-run and post,-run AHK scripting tools,Launchbox also allows additional apps to be run before and after each emulator is run.

I have had random issues with using these methods and currently if you are using the additional app features, currently Launchbox doesn't let you set this per emulator. You would have to set to each rom/file. (It's been on the feature request vote but hasn't received enough votes.)

I find it's much simplier to just create a bat file in the same directory as your emulator and in Launchbox, point the emulator executable to this bat file instead of the emulator exe. (Your bat file will call the emulator executable.)

Here is an example of WinVICE.bat I use for loading in a custom iPac2 map for Commodore 64, and restoring the default iPac2 map after the emulator is closed.

@echo off

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\WinIPAC.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\WinVICE.ipc"

call C:\Users\ARCADEPC\LaunchBox\Emulators\WinVICE\x64.exe %1

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\WinIPAC.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\Default.ipc"

exit 0

Obviously you have to create your custom iPac2 maps using WiniPac, (the *.ipc files), but I found this to work flawlessly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Headrush69 said:

I know this is a old question, but I'll post my solution in that it might help others.

There are several ways of doing this. Launchbox includes pre-run and post,-run AHK scripting tools,Launchbox also allows additional apps to be run before and after each emulator is run.

I have had random issues with using these methods and currently if you are using the additional app features, currently Launchbox doesn't let you set this per emulator. You would have to set to each rom/file. (It's been on the feature request vote but hasn't received enough votes.)

I find it's much simplier to just create a bat file in the same directory as your emulator and in Launchbox, point the emulator executable to this bat file instead of the emulator exe. (Your bat file will call the emulator executable.)

Here is an example of WinVICE.bat I use for loading in a custom iPac2 map for Commodore 64, and restoring the default iPac2 map after the emulator is closed.

@echo off

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\WinIPAC.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\WinVICE.ipc"

call C:\Users\ARCADEPC\LaunchBox\Emulators\WinVICE\x64.exe %1

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\WinIPAC.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\Default.ipc"

exit 0

Obviously you have to create your custom iPac2 maps using WiniPac, (the *.ipc files), but I found this to work flawlessly.

I will give a try, looks awesome!

Edited by EduInmigrante

2 minutes ago, Fablog said:

@Headrush69I'm Curious, do you set your U360 in 4 or 8ways to control Bigbox? 

I no longer have a U360 in my cabinet. Switched to some authentic IL Eurosticks.

For games/emulators that I need true analog input I have Wireless Xbox 360s attached as well.

Between the Eurosticks, trackball, Aimtrack lightgun, XBox 360s, and Logotech MOMO steering wheel, seem to everything covered so far.

1 hour ago, Fablog said:

Is there a big difference between the U360 and the IL eurosticks? I suppose you prefer the IL.

Huge difference. The U360 can be used as an analog joystick, or as a general directional stick.

In my case I started with just the cheap Happ type joysticks that came in my Xarcade Tankstick. They were terrible for 4-way games, so I upgraded one of the joysticks to a Ultimarc Mag-Stik Plus. This joystick allowed true 4-way/8-way switching and 4-way mode worked great. I didn't find 8-way mode was as good and I had trouble hitting diagonals easily.

I then switched to a U360 (with harder spring and restrictor plate), and using downloadable maps was able to get great 8-way, 4-way, and whatever type control I needed.

Playing games like Q-bert that required diagonal 4-way worked terrific.

Being an analog joystick the throw of the stick was much greater and although I got used to it, the kids didn't like it.

Additionally, with how the young kids played, this extra play was fairly rough on the cabinet.

Another issue was if I used this joystick in analog mode, it appeared as a joytick and I was having issues with usb device ordering with so many devices connected to my cabinet.

(Currently I don't use the gamepad support with the iPac2, and just use the keyboard mapping.)

After a lot of googling and reading, I decided to try a true IL Eurostick. Overall much better feel and diagonals work well. The U360 and Mag-Stik Plus are better with 4-way games, but most 4-ways games that matter I run are in MAME and for these I use the Retroarch core mame2003plus which has improved 4-way detection. So far it seems to be working well.

A nice feature of leaving the iPac2 in keyboard mode, is for Retroarch cores I can use the cabinet joysticks or the wireless XBox 360 controllers without a need to change any configuration.

• 2 weeks later...

So, i got a little problem...
Im trying to launch a old DOS game with this:

@echo off

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\WinIPAC.exe" "F:\DUCKGAMES\IPAC\Happyland.ipc"

call C:\LaunchBox\DOSBox\dosbox.exe -conf "C:\LaunchBox\DOSBox\dosbox.conf" "F:\DUCKGAMES\MS-DOS\Happyland Adventures\HAPPY.EXE"  %1

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\WinIPAC.exe" "F:\DUCKGAMES\IPAC\MAME.ipc"

exit 0

Works perfect if i launch the Bat file. IPAC load the new config and reload the default one after i close the game.
But, if i load from Launchbox, the screm goes crazy. The game is not in full screen and 2 cmd windows become on front.
And if i select the game screen and close it, the game close and i have to type (EXIT) in the DOSBOX screen.
Anyone know any solution?

image.thumb.png.d807539fc2f99e9e33afbbe719abfd5a.png 

8 hours ago, EduInmigrante said:

So, i got a little problem...
Im trying to launch a old DOS game with this:

@echo off

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\WinIPAC.exe" "F:\DUCKGAMES\IPAC\Happyland.ipc"

call C:\LaunchBox\DOSBox\dosbox.exe -conf "C:\LaunchBox\DOSBox\dosbox.conf" "F:\DUCKGAMES\MS-DOS\Happyland Adventures\HAPPY.EXE"  %1

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\WinIPAC.exe" "F:\DUCKGAMES\IPAC\MAME.ipc"

exit 0

Works perfect if i launch the Bat file. IPAC load the new config and reload the default one after i close the game.
But, if i load from Launchbox, the screm goes crazy. The game is not in full screen and 2 cmd windows become on front.
And if i select the game screen and close it, the game close and i have to type (EXIT) in the DOSBOX screen.
Anyone know any solution?

image.thumb.png.d807539fc2f99e9e33afbbe719abfd5a.png 

[EDIT] Nevermind my question, i found a easy solution for my problem.
I made 2 bat files, one to call the new IPAC config before launching the game, and other to call the default IPAC config.
Put those files like Aditional app.

To launch before:

@echo off

exit 0

To launch after:

@echo off

exit 0

Just like this:
image.thumb.png.a5094b8df0b066465f79d8bd2deaaffc.pngRope this method help someone in a future!

Edited by EduInmigrante
I found a solution!
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry to up this, but I am having a bit of trouble - I have tried this, but it seems like whenever I exit the game, the default profile doesn't load back up - I have to manually click 'force board reconfigure' in Winpac before the new profile will take hold.

Does anybody have any idea?

edit: I've actually realised the profile doesn't change when loading the game either - no idea what I might be doing wrong. I just have a more basic one that says

@echo off

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\WinIPAC.exe" "C:\Desktop\bishi.ipc"

exit 0

as I only need it for one game, so have created one to start and to exit. However, I tried it the way described above and same result - it just seems like Winpac won't load a new profile simply by just opening it

Edited by Gimpy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/27/2019 at 9:05 AM, Gimpy said:

Sorry to up this, but I am having a bit of trouble - I have tried this, but it seems like whenever I exit the game, the default profile doesn't load back up - I have to manually click 'force board reconfigure' in Winpac before the new profile will take hold.

Does anybody have any idea?

edit: I've actually realised the profile doesn't change when loading the game either - no idea what I might be doing wrong. I just have a more basic one that says

@echo off

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\WinIPAC.exe" "C:\Desktop\bishi.ipc"

exit 0

as I only need it for one game, so have created one to start and to exit. However, I tried it the way described above and same result - it just seems like Winpac won't load a new profile simply by just opening it

Does using START instead of call work?

start /wait "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinIPAC V2\WinIPAC.exe" "C:\Desktop\bishi.ipc"

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Darkseid001 said:

I wrote andy about this he seems to have no clear answer i haven't seen anyone get this to work

Can you be more specific?

Do you mean flashing a custom profile on that iPac model requires the forcing the re-configure to the board or you mean the script doesn't work?

If it's related to the new multi-mode firmware is it possible to downgrade back to 1.49 or 1.39 versions? I tried the multi-mode firmware and I remember I had a specific issue, can't remember exactly what it was but maybe try manually installing the older version and see if it works after that.

7 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

Can you be more specific?

Do you mean flashing a custom profile on that iPac model requires the forcing the re-configure to the board or you mean the script doesn't work?

If it's related to the new multi-mode firmware is it possible to downgrade back to 1.49 or 1.39 versions? I tried the multi-mode firmware and I remember I had a specific issue, can't remember exactly what it was but maybe try manually installing the older version and see if it works after that.

Yeah scripts dont work also its supposed to switch automatically to custom xinput when a script is loaded that contains a home key and all gamepad inputs and that does not work either