LaunchBox Community Forums

My GPD Win arrived... along with some other goodies...

CJDJ

So, even before Jason posted about the GPD Win, I decided to grab one... then I asked on here if I can use my existing Lifetime code on it.  My bday is tomorrow, and it arrived today... Happy Cake Day to me. :)  Going to have fun fooling around with this thing.  I have a lot of old games from GOG, emulators, and some Steam games I want to try.... :)  Can't wait to get Launchbox on this thing.  But first... I must edumacate myself on the Reddit forums for optimizing this thing....

20170410_212128.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Just Charlie said:

I just ordered one of these. Really excited to get it! Jason's video showing off Launchbox usage is what sold me on it.

Have you learned anything useful about using Launchbox with the GPD in the few months since you've had it? @CJDJ

Keep in mind... it gets hot... quite often too.  I use the fan on medium or high most of the time.  It works great for the most part.  It's a Low End Laptop, so you have to keep that in mind when running games on it.  I even tried Arkham Asylum on it... it plays pretty good, but does get pretty hot to the touch.  Regarding Launchbox, I keep the themes to a minimum (i.e. don't use cover flow).  The Video themes work great.  While on transit, people see what I'm doing and they're like, "that's so cool."  I usually keep my roms on the SD Card, but it's slower to read from... so it's not recommended to put your ISO games (ps1, sega cd, etc.) on there.  They work, but there is a bit of lag when the emulator is trying to read ahead.  That's why i also grabbed the USB stick.  It's low form factor is perfect for it.  At the time, I couldn't afford the 256GB one.  I'm not disappointed with my purchase.  Launchbox/Bigbox is a must for this.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2017 at 1:50 PM, CJDJ said:

Keep in mind... it gets hot... quite often too.  I use the fan on medium or high most of the time.  It works great for the most part.  It's a Low End Laptop, so you have to keep that in mind when running games on it.  I even tried Arkham Asylum on it... it plays pretty good, but does get pretty hot to the touch.  Regarding Launchbox, I keep the themes to a minimum (i.e. don't use cover flow).  The Video themes work great.  While on transit, people see what I'm doing and they're like, "that's so cool."  I usually keep my roms on the SD Card, but it's slower to read from... so it's not recommended to put your ISO games (ps1, sega cd, etc.) on there.  They work, but there is a bit of lag when the emulator is trying to read ahead.  That's why i also grabbed the USB stick.  It's low form factor is perfect for it.  At the time, I couldn't afford the 256GB one.  I'm not disappointed with my purchase.  Launchbox/Bigbox is a must for this.

That sounds great. I am most interested in indie and retro games, so I don't plan to play anything in 3D on this, actually. I have watched dozens of Youtube clips of people testing various games on the GPD Win. I get that it can run things like Overwatch and GTA V (barely) but I am more about games like Undertale and Axiom Verge. Hopefully these will not generate too much heat. In any case thanks for the info!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Just Charlie said:

That sounds great. I am most interested in indie and retro games, so I don't plan to play anything in 3D on this, actually. I have watched dozens of Youtube clips of people testing various games on the GPD Win. I get that it can run things like Overwatch and GTA V (barely) but I am more about games like Undertale and Axiom Verge. Hopefully these will not generate too much heat. In any case thanks for the info!

A great resource is a subreddit I frequent quite often: https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/.  There's a lot of great info there.  It's a great device... and Launchbox/Bigbox is just awesome with it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2017 at 9:33 PM, CJDJ said:

A great resource is a subreddit I frequent quite often: https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/.  There's a lot of great info there.  It's a great device... and Launchbox/Bigbox is just awesome with it.

Great, thanks for that. I have noticed that Big Box is a little slow on the GPD Win so I am using Retroarch for now. Hopefully performance improves with some updates though, I am hopeful.

28 minutes ago, mothergoose729 said:

How well does the gpd handle psx and N64 games? Does MAME run ok? 

OK, just to say i don't have a GPD win, so bare that in mind. However i have a windows tablet running a x5 with 2gb of ram, so a lot less than the gpd, and i can run ps1 and n64 just fine on it. For ps1 i use epcsxe and for n64 i use the retroarch core(i can even bump that one up to 720p on most games) So it should run those just fine i would assume as my less powerful hardware can.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mothergoose729 said:

How well does the gpd handle psx and N64 games? Does MAME run ok? 

Well, I have ePSXe setup as the emulator through Launchbox since I found it played better.  For N64, I use Retroarch, Mupen64Plus OpenGL core.  I leave it at 4:3, and have bumper boarders... or whatever you call them, to cover the black bars with the system I'm playing.  They play great.  I haven't tried MAME on it yet... was too excited to play the other classic/pc games on the go... so I filled up my storage.

**Edit**

I forgot to add... for most full screen gaming, I tend to lower the resolution to a custom size... 544x960 seems to be the most optimal.

Edited by CJDJ
  • Like 1