LaunchBox Community Forums

Can't close eSPXe without confrimation

DeckardCain

Hello,

I'm new to LaunchBox and recently bought the license for BigBox and have been having a blast so far!

I am running into an issue with the ePSXe emulator tho. When I try to close the game using the hotkeys on the controller, I'm getting the message below.

I tried setting up Retorarch and Mednafen as alternative emulators, but both of these emulators are incompatible with some of my ROMS.

Has anyone found a solution for this? I see some people recommending to turn the setting off, however I do not see it in any of the menus for ePSXe.

Thanks in advance!

epsxe exit.png

Wow, such a quick reply!

RetroArch is very appealing. I would have like to get it working but I would need to re-downlad most of my roms since it only loads ROMs in the ISO or BIN/CUE format. This is not an option for me.

When looking in ePSXe's options I do not see anything for this prompt. Below is a screen recording that I uploaded to YouTube.

EDIT: Pressing the controller hotkey to exit a second time does not work.

Edited by DeckardCain

That's odd. I don't use ePSXe on a regular basis, someone told me about it in the options and it had worked for some people. It might be a specific version, or one of the latest versions. I've also tested Controller Automation in situations where a confirmation screen pops up and that did work for me at one point too... I tried to double check stuff, but ePSXe crashes on me.

So, RetroArch does have a higher requirement for disc rips, but I think it's a good thing. If they're in other formats, they're generally not worth it. You need a cue sheet or a ccd file along sine a bin or an iso (almost always bin). A Trurip or Redump set would be what you're looking for.

36 minutes ago, DeckardCain said:

Wow, such a quick reply!

RetroArch is very appealing. I would have like to get it working but I would need to re-downlad most of my roms since it only loads ROMs in the ISO or BIN/CUE format. This is not an option for me.

When looking in ePSXe's options I do not see anything for this prompt. Below is a screen recording that I uploaded to YouTube.

EDIT: Pressing the controller hotkey to exit a second time does not work.

If you have a lot of ECM files then you can convert them with free tools. 

Otherwise cue files are largely copy past, change the name of the file, and you are done. 

If you have a modern PC, mednafen is really the go to playstation emulator, and retroarch has a great front end for it. You can also experiment with the hardware accelerated core for better performance, and additional features like perspective correction. 

Cue sheets can actually be more complicated, mostly when there are audio files loose with the game files. You can create them or convert the games to be in the proper format. If you don't have download limits though, grabbing a new set will really help in the long run too.

Thanks everyone for their replies!

It looks like I'll have to re-download my ROMs so they're in a ISO or BIN/CUE format and look at Mednafen again. I won't be able to test this for a few hours, but does anyone have the fullscreen command line switch for Mednafen?

Cheers!

For RetroArch (which is the emulator you'd want to use), you just set it in to full screen (the F key when loaded up), then close down RetroArch. RA by default will save to your default config automatically, so it should be fullscreen when you open it up from there on out. If you need more RetroArch help, there are tons and tons of threads on the forums about it, I've made hundreds of replies related to it (if not over a thousand). The forum search may not be the greatest, so actually Googling your issue with "LaunchBox" might actually result in better... results. There's also all of our video tutorials on our channel as well. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6pTDaHeAz-WMcNURVPU-1xLN_TVpT3FB

29 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Go to your ePSXe Edit Emulator window in Launchbox and then the AutoKotkey tab and put this code in there:

$Esc::
{
    Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}

This will close out ePSXe smoothly for you.

That worked - you saved me a ton of time by not having to re-download all my ROMs and configure a new emulator.

Thank you so much!

I was actually trying to get ps emulation up and running yesterday.  Couldn't get it through retroarch so had to go with epsxe is there a way to launch it into full screen at start up?  More importantly anyone want to help me trouble shoot why Retroarch won't load them?!?

To get it to launch fullscreen go to Config > Plugins > Video, from there pick the video plugin you are using and click the Configure button.

Both plugins will have a Fullscreen and Window mode selection at the top left. Pick the Fullscreen and set the resolution to match your monitors.58ffaa7c0d77b_2017-04-2515_57_42-ConfigureePSXeCoreGPU.thumb.png.36f0ad6d2f2268870d67a3c88181753b.pngAs for Retroarch not loading your games generally speaking if RA is not loading your games outside of Launchbox there are 4 reasons why they won't load. You either have the incorrect bios, bios aren't in your \Retroarch\system\ folder, you aren't loading the .cue file or your disk image is bad.

You can check out a video I made a year ago covering how to get PS, Sega CD and TurboGrafx CD games working if you like.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2017 at 2:44 PM, lordmonkus said:

Go to your ePSXe Edit Emulator window in Launchbox and then the AutoKotkey tab and put this code in there:

$Esc::
{

This will close out ePSXe smoothly for you.

Thanks, I've had this issue for years! Didn't feel like making a ton of .cue files just to get everything working with Mednafen in RA..

Right on, right on. I'm pretty sure that I got rid of the .cue files years ago, not thinking I'd need them. I'm just glad I got my stuff up and running, and nice and organized. That's been my only concern so far. 

• 1 year later...

I use standalone Mednafen as it has always been the emulator I have personally found works best with the PS1. All of my emulator's exit just fine using the home button on my Hori FC which is mapped to 4 on the keyboard. I am using Controller Companion which has a profile for Mednafen that has the home button mapped to 4. Also, I have the following for Mednafen in LB:

$4::
{
}

However, it is not exiting anymore for some reason despite the above. DOes anyone have any ideas? Can you map an exit button directly through Mednafen instead?