LaunchBox Community Forums

The Dragon's Trap

teeedubb

We are working on a modern version of cult classic Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap! Based on Westone Bit Entertainment's original masterpiece, with the benediction of SEGA / LAT and the cooperation of legendary series creator Ryuichi Nishizawa!

http://www.thedragonstrap.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/543260/Wonder_Boy_The_Dragons_Trap/

http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256683809/movie480.webm?t=1493115583

The original is my favourite game of that era. I remember renting it for the first time from Video Ezy as a kid and being blown away by the huge sprites with colourful graphics, catchy soundtrack and gameplay like which I had never seen before - beating a section, unlocking new powers and finally being able to get to that area  which I hadn't been able reach to before. It was my first taste of metroidvania style gameplay, and I was hooked. I didn't have enough pocket money to buy the game at time and I couldn't bare to wait to save the money, so I kept renting it till I 'clocked' it. Every now and then I put on a TAS video of this game and relive the nostalgia of all the different areas.

I am really looking forward to this game (unfortunately PC gamers have to wait till June) and it will be a release day purchase for me. I always worry about remakes straying too far from the originals, but I have a good feeling about this game after reading/watching through the dev diaries. Also, you can switch between the original and HD version on the fly, which is a good sign that LizardCube haven't fixed what wasn't broken.

Anyone else excited about this game?

I grabbed it on the Switch on release date and absolutely love it! It's 'almost' identical to the original, with a few small and sensible tweaks.

I found it much easier than the original, however I loved that about it because I always sucked at the Master System version! Overall it's amazingly enjoyable, and the new graphics, effects, and music are just magical.

Not that it spoils anything, but they things I noticed that were changed:

Spoiler

- Charm stones removed

- Thunder Sabre removed (and replaced with the Thunder Ring)

While I actually prefer Wonder Boy in Monster Land over Dragon's Trap on Master System, this remake is just immaculate and will keep me coming back to it over and over. Pretty sure I'll never play the Master System version again :P

• 3 months later...

Got around to playing the remake and really enjoyed it! Kudos to the devs for capturing the feel of the original! I prefered the original soundtrack, but the new sprites are great. Being able to switch graphics at any time is a really cool feature... being able to see how it originally looked is a great trip down memory lane.

@thraxlol charm stones are still in the remake ;)

While searching around I also found out there is a fan made remake of the original game, with new levels and increased difficulty, called Dragons Curse:

Havent played through it yet, but its on my to do list :)