LaunchBox Community Forums

possible to transfer a Playlist into a System

Chris Kant

Hi Guys,

I imported my Name 180 Library and automatically get a lot of Playlists. Is it possible to change / transfer a Playlist into a System. I am not so happy with the Playlist thing because of the less Possibilities I can have with a playlist instead of a System.

Go to the playlist of your choice -> select all games with Ctrl+A -> right-click -> edit -> change the platform of the games to anything you want. You can delete the playlist afterwards.

Tip: If the platform doesn’t already exist than you can just type in the name of it in this field and LB will create that platform for you. You aren’t bounded to the already existing platforms in the dropdown menu.

• Like 1

Go to the playlist of your choice -> select all games with Ctrl+A -> right-click -> edit -> change the platform of the games to anything you want. You can delete the playlist afterwards.

Tip: If the platform doesn’t already exist than you can just type in the name of it in this field and LB will create that platform for you. You aren’t bounded to the already existing platforms in the dropdown menu.

Awesome.
And so easy, that I never thought about that

Thank you
Danke dir CID

All of those games work in MAME. Playlists aren't to replace Platforms like Monkus said, they're just there to show you a focused look at a cross section of games. Converting them to a platform obviously works, but the Playlist will still be there. Unless you're trying a different emulator, there's no real reason to make them a platform. Don't forget to scrape the platforms as Arcade, or any new metadata wont be found.

13 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

All of those games work in MAME. Playlists aren't to replace Platforms like Monkus said, they're just there to show you a focused look at a cross section of games. Converting them to a platform obviously works, but the Playlist will still be there. Unless you're trying a different emulator, there's no real reason to make them a platform. Don't forget to scrape the platforms as Arcade, or any new metadata wont be found.

at this moment (and the lack of my experience) I would like to have different Systems / Platforms instead of Playlists In my systems. In a Platform I can have more information about the System itself, which is not available for Playlists and it looks like to make it easier to configure it through Rocket Launcher. That is the reason.

another Benefit in having a separat platform instead of Playlist is using the audit tool from Launchbox, which is not available for playlist.

Edited by Chris Kant

On 5/25/2017 at 4:44 PM, SentaiBrad said:

I may be wrong but in order to do system specific overlays for various arcade systems you have to make each system it's own platform. I was unable to take a playlist like CPS1, CPS2, Midway Classics, etc and give each playlist it's own specific overlays in Retroarch.  It wasn't until I made a one of my system playlists into its own platform that giving it a specific overlay finally worked. 

Edited by Buttonmasher

Ah, well there ya go. If that's the case, then yea you're gonna need to bulk edit their platform. Honestly, there's no reason you never could have, I just didn't know of this (I don't use overlays). In terms of having LaunchBox, your MAME rom set and MAME going, you really don't need to split it up, unless for personal reasons though. I'll need to remember this though, thanks for letting me know.

9 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Ah, well there ya go. If that's the case, then yea you're gonna need to bulk edit their platform. Honestly, there's no reason you never could have, I just didn't know of this (I don't use overlays). In terms of having LaunchBox, your MAME rom set and MAME going, you really don't need to split it up, unless for personal reasons though. I'll need to remember this though, thanks for letting me know.

I must of spent 2 weeks trying to find out why I couldnt get these overlays to work how I wanted. Several posters gave me the easiest instructions and it just wouldn't work.  I'd like to see an easier way of turning playlists into systems for this specific reason.  I've just started with merging playlists into platforms but I don't have much hope the process is going to go smoothly. 

The method would be to highlight everything in your playlist and bulk edit the platform name. That's how you'd do it when looking at games in a regular platform. The Bulk Edit Wizard is how you change a lot of values for several games at once. The only thing you'll need to do is re-scrape the platforms for media. When you rename a platform the folders with the media are still the old platform name and need to be manually renamed. Except in this case you're moving a few games, not all of the games, so you can't really just go in and rename the folders to the new platform names. That's the only thing that really needs to change, media transferring with a platform when a name changes. Otherwise, using scrape as for custom platforms is still required even if you created and imported in to these platforms directly. So don't forget to edit the platforms and scrape them as arcade.

On 5/29/2017 at 2:03 AM, SentaiBrad said:

The method would be to highlight everything in your playlist and bulk edit the platform name. That's how you'd do it when looking at games in a regular platform. The Bulk Edit Wizard is how you change a lot of values for several games at once. The only thing you'll need to do is re-scrape the platforms for media. When you rename a platform the folders with the media are still the old platform name and need to be manually renamed. Except in this case you're moving a few games, not all of the games, so you can't really just go in and rename the folders to the new platform names. That's the only thing that really needs to change, media transferring with a platform when a name changes. Otherwise, using scrape as for custom platforms is still required even if you created and imported in to these platforms directly. So don't forget to edit the platforms and scrape them as arcade.

Before doing this wouldn't I need to first create a platform before running the bulk edit wizard so that it has a desired platform to be moved to?  And if that is the case, why is that when I add a new platform it does not show up in the left panel in Launchbox but it does show up under manage emulators?  And it seems that because it is not showing up in the left panel that when I try and run the bulk edit wizard, choose Platform under the Field drop down menu, the newly added Platform does not show up under the Value dropdown menu.

As I’ve pointed out in my post above you aren’t bounded to the already existing platforms in the drop down menu as LB will create the platform automatically for you if you just type in a new one in that field.

For the sidebar: LB automatically hides any platforms with no games in it to keep the sidebar tidy. Of course they will still show up in the Edit Platform menu for obvious reasons. That they also don't show up in the drop down menu sounds just like a minor bug to me and you should be fine by just typing the name manually in the field.

1 minute ago, CriticalCid said:

As I’ve pointed out in my post above you aren’t bounded to the already existing platforms in the drop down menu as LB will create the platform automatically for you if you just type in a new one in that field.

For the sidebar: LB automatically hides any platforms with no games in it to keep the sidebar tidy. Of course they will still show up in the Edit Platform menu for obvious reasons. That they also don't show up in the drop down menu sounds just like a minor bug to me and you should be fine by just typing the name manually in the field.

I suspected it was hiding the platforms due to their not being games added. I'll try typing in the drop-down field this evening. Thanks for the feedback!