LaunchBox Community Forums

Emulating the TI-99/4A with voice synthesizer

ghettoandroid

Has anyone been able to emulate the TI-99/4a with the voice synthesizer and have LaunchBox launch it in fullscreen mode? If so, what emulator are you using?

I have the TI-99/4a emulated in MAME but I'm unable to get the voice synthesizer to work. I believe I have the voice synthesizer rom file in the right directory but none of the games that I've tried, that use the synthesizer, are outputting any speech. I'm starting to think that it's not possible to use the voice synthesizer under MAME 0.184.

Edited by ghettoandroid

Okay I'm not 100% sure about this but for both Odyssey 2 and Intellivision there is voice software their command line argument in MAME looks like this when using voice

intv -cart1 voice -cart2

odyssey2 -cart1 voice -cart2

Maybe something similar will work in your case

2 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Okay I'm not 100% sure about this but for both Odyssey 2 and Intellivision there is voice software their command line argument in MAME looks like this when using voice

intv -cart1 voice -cart2

odyssey2 -cart1 voice -cart2

Maybe something similar will work in your case

The default command line parameter that I use is "ti99_4a -cart".  I've just tried  "ti99_4a -cart1 voice -cart2" and also "ti99_4a -cart voice -cart" with no luck.:(

I'll continue to try similar command arguments. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Edited by ghettoandroid

• 3 years later...
On 5/30/2017 at 8:43 AM, ghettoandroid said:

THANKS! That link did the trick!!:D

Command line argument in MAME:

ti99_4a -peb:slot3 speech -cart

Old thread I know, But I tried this after just doing a google search for speech, but the games won't load now. Really want to get speech working.

I'm using batch files to run my games through MAME. Thats where im sticking this code. Also tried it in the default command-line parameters.

Are you using batch files to run them? It's the only way I knew of getting TI99 to work in MAME

mame64.exe ti99_4a -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot3 speech -cart rom_name

This only works from the command line or a batch file if you change "rom_name" to an actual rom's name. ;) 

In LaunchBox, you could instead edit your MAME emulator and in the Associated Emulators tab, do something like thisimage.thumb.png.20647cb07b518a1a633c84a6666a0f35.pngNote: the line above also sets the emulated memory to 32k.  Also, don't put "mame64.exe" at the beginning nor the "rom_name" at the end as with a batch file.