LaunchBox Community Forums

Passing parameters/arguments to retroarch cores

So.........Read through various posts on the forum, and it seems that adding the parameters after specifying the core is what's documented.
IE: -L "cores\mame2014_libretro.dll" -skip_gameinfo

I've noticed an issue when trying to pass the -cart parameter to mame - instead of it being sent as -cart to the core as a parameter, it's being sent as a parameter to retroarch itself, which is parsing it as "load config art" (-c being load config).

Any ideas how to get around this?  I'm trying to use the ume2014 core for Odyssey2, and all is fine and well except that in order to use voice synthesis, I'm suppose to pass on arguments that specify load cart 1 with voice and then cart 2 with actual game file (odyssey2 -cart1 voice -cart2 (filename)) but keep getting tripped up.

Clarification:
When passing the following command:
-L "cores\ume2014_libretro.dll" odyssey2 -cart1 voice -cart2

Retroarch crashes, and I noticed in the retroarch directory itself a config with the name art2 is created.

Edited by grimm.beam
clarification

You could try that, but I don't think that'll be read correctly. I don't think I've ever used a parameter like that in quotes. The -cart 2 (filename) definitely would need that whole path in quotes though.

I've got some examples of instances where I've done stuff like this for other emulators (like Steem) but none with RA itself...

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

can you put -cart in quotes maybe

Tried - no difference - I'm going to run through a few different scenarios with logging enabled to see where the error lies, BUT, the first problem I noticed is that as soon as any argument is added between the core and the rom, retroarch gets confused and isn't able to find the bios, whereas it finds it just fine otherwise...

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

Replace UME with MAME with no year. Any MAME with a year and any UME are very out of date.

Also tried that, same result - I use an older version because current mame has issues with certain roms (Wizard of Wor) and vector games look like shit in comparison to 2014 version.

56 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

To use MESS through MAME you may need to use the stand alone version where those commands work with ease

55 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Yea, I would suggest using standalone MAME too in the long run.

Trying to avoid anything other than retroarch cores as I really like the way retroarch handles overlays - I use a custom resolution on my monitor, so scanline shaders and overlays all look unpleasant EXCEPT when I scale them at 1.2 percent - something I might not be able to do otherwise in external emulators.

As it stands, everything is working fine except for this voice synthesis issue - the game themselves run fine without, but I'd like to see if I can figure this out as there *has* to be someway for it to be done unless the core is somehow stripped of it's ability to use parameters (not likely).

33 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Part of me wants you to keep looking for the answer because I want to know if it can be done

Not going to give up until I find out how to get it working or that it's impossible ;)

19 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

It can be done, i've gotten it to work but I cannot for the life of me remember how.

There might be a post around here somewhere where I mentioned what I did to get Atari 5200 working in RA with the Mame core.

Thanks, I'll search through for a5200 related posts you're involved in and see what you did.  I know the mame/mess cores need very specific softlist roms, folder structures, etc - but I've got that sorted out already.

Thanks all for chiming in...

7 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

Thanks - read through that before actually, and it certainly helped me with figuring out proper folder structure for roms/bios/etc with mame/mess cores - but nothing specific on how to properly pass arguments (beyond using softlists which I do).

I've verified the cores (both ume2014 and mame) will load the rom without issue, and that standalone mame will accept the arguments properly and load up the gamer with voice synthesis once specified, so I can only guess that it has to be incorrect syntax for the core...posting on the libreto forum to see if they can offer any clarification on why retroarch things -cart is being interpreted as "-c art"

Edited by grimm.beam

Partial progress: When putting all parameters after the core itself in quotes, it's no longer interpreting it as -c art (config art), and I can at least see the mame core being pulled up before crashing - but now (according to the log file) it's back to the core not finding the bios files, even though sans arguments it finds them, and I've even gone so far as to have the bios both packed and unpacked in the with the game roms, within system/mame/roms, and system/mame/roms/odyssey2

Edited by grimm.beam

On 6/1/2017 at 5:42 AM, DOS76 said:

Have you tried going into the built in MAME UI and setting your directories in there?

Do you mean the UI to the mame core in retroarch called up by F1?  I saw no options to set directories in there if so...