LaunchBox Community Forums

Mageslayer needs dos prompt but incompatable with dosbox

heartofdestany

Hello,  I would like to launch Mageslayer through Launchbox, however I have a slight issue, The map stitching in Mageslayer requires a dos propt window to be open, DOSbox cannot launch this game. Leaving DOSbox open seems to work favorably, however DOSbox closses upon opening Mageslayer this way through Launchbox. Is there a way to suppress DOSbox from closeing when it realizes the game is not compatable?

Edited by heartofdestany

It is a Windows 95 game, however a lot of Windows 95 games required a DOS window to be open while certain parts of the game are gotten to, in Mageslayer it is the map stitching that causes a hang when no DOS window is open. Windows 7 has no DOS anything whatsoever, same for XP, Vista, 8, 8.1 and 10.

So even though, mageslayer is not a DOS game per say, I do need DOSbox open while I play it, for it to function normally.

Edited by heartofdestany

Run dosbox as an additional app for the game, even if it is closing dosbox it will reopen it as an additional app. Not sure if it will close on exit.

You could write a short batch file to monitor your games exe and close dosbox when it closes if that's the case.

I would also recommend unchecking the use dosbox/scummvm boxes.

It opens dosbox portable, then waits 2 seconds before checking the tasklist for magslay.exe
If it finds magslay.exe then the batch file stays open and continues to check every second.
The second it doesn't find magslay.exe it will close dosboxportable and close the batch.
It should also run minimised.

Using it by itself will just load dosboxportable and close it 2 seconds later.

Edited by syntax_X