I'm currently trying to wrap up the version 4.0 release, with a target release of August.
Here is the current list of new features, changes, etc...
The following is a list of changes, from an over view perspective, that have been made to the version 4.0 release (so far). New changes will continually be added to this list.
• All 5 volumes have been combined into a single project.
• MT-32 \ SC-55 Project – Added support for 797 MT32 games, 501 Gen. Midi/Sound Canvas games.
• Nuked OPL3 – Added support for 22 OPL3 games to use the Nuked OPL emulator
• Gravis Ultrasound - Enabled in 249 games
• CMS, GameBlaster, Covox, Sound Source, and Innovation sound options added to a handful of games each (those that support them).
• Enhanced Tandy check – 80 games with enabled Tandy 3 Voice sound. This includes enhanced Tandy versions enabled over their IBM versions.
• PC Speaker Upgrade check – All games from 1988-1992 checked for optimal quality sound. Dozens of games previously set to PC Speaker have been upgraded to adlib \ sound blaster.
• CD \ Rip Replacement – All games marked as CD at moby games checked against eXoDOS. Rips were removed in lieu of clean CD images.
• Composite Video – PC Jr and CGA games upgraded to DosBOX ECE in order to take advantage of its advanced composite modes.
• CD Audio check – All games marked with CD-Audio (from multiple sources) were checked. This led to clean CD images and changed settings which have enabled CD Audio in dozens of games that previously were not using them.
• RPG Save Game Transfer Support – All known games that support the importing of save games from previous games have had scripts added to them to allow you to move all supported save games around to games which support them. This is all built into the games standard launcher, so it works with any front end that uses my launch files.
• ScummVM Updated – All DOS games ScummVM currently supports have had ScummVM launch options added. The full screen prompt during install now changes this setting for both DosBOX and ScummVM.
• 3DFX Update – All 3DFX games were checked and upgraded to DosBOX ECE, along with replaced glide drivers. This removes prior issues that forced full screen, caused flickering, and other issues with frame rates.
• Pixel Perfect patch support - An alternate launch file for each game now exists in the extras folder. This will launch the game with ECE and enable pixel perfect output. This is the most accurate, per pixel, representation of the original game image. Some games will not run properly in ECE, which is why this was built as an optional launch and not rolled into the main launch. This patch also upgrades the emulation of the PC speaker and uses the Nuked OPL emulator for all midi.
• Missing Manuals project – Multiple users have trolled the computer museum, archive.org, old-games.ru, and other sites to find as many of the missing manuals as possible. To date, over 1,000 have been added, including multiple “extras”, such as maps, reference cards, etc…
• Linux Support project – v4 will include scripts that allow the pack to be run on linux
• Major bug squashing initiative led by @Python – Unfortunately we don’t have a count of how many bugs have been squashed, but typically I address between 10-30 a day, and have been at that pace since last fall.
• Old-Games.ru / TDC acquisition projects: @Smiling Spectre compiled spreadsheets of all DOS games listed at old-games.ru and in TDC15/16 that are not currently in eXoDOS, and then subdivided into English vs Foreign. These lists contain thousands of games. Nearly all old-games.ru entries have been added to date, and the TDC list provides a road map going forward.
• Application of the NewRisingSun patches, which fix timer, sound, and other issues in many Sierra games. This includes the addition of “ultimate versions” of games such as King’s Quest 4, Space Quest 3, Monkey Island, etc… These ultimate versions are in addition to standard versions. Explanations in what each version adds are in the launch menu.
• Patches and enhancements for dozens of games such as Elder Scrolls, Ultima, and the like have been added.
• retropie support via @Jemy Murphy 's dos game installer, including standardized joystick to keyboard mapping for most action, racing, and shooter games.