LaunchBox Community Forums

Pcsx2 1.5

angelobodetti

I am on 1.5x. It has a lot of cool features, but I am using it because the software render is more accurate and has better performance in the games I am trying to play.  It adds several really cool features to the openGL render in particular that fix a ton of  problems. If you go on the PCSX2 wiki right now, there are a lot of games that have had their compatibility rating updated to reflect the changes in 1.5. If you get the most bleeding edge build there is always a decent chance something could be broken due to regression, but in general 1.5 is a much better than 1.4 in pretty much every way. 

With that being said, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If 1.4 is working well for you stick with it. If you are having problems with some of you games in version 1.4, than the latest build might fix it. It did for me. 

• Like 1

I get the Beta's for many emulators, and generally speaking they're fairly well stable. I mean, it's really like anything in Beta, even LB has these issues. The, if it ain't broke, then don't fix it thing doesn't work for me. I always want the latest edition and version of my software, generally speaking. I honestly don't have much issues usually upgrading stuff either. People have been conditioned not to for some reason... I can't explain it. Testing it out is pretty easy though. If it gives you the results you're looking for, then use. Keep around the last version you had working just in case.

It all depends on if you're more game oriented, or more push the boundaries oriented. If you're more game oriented and it's working, best to leave well enough alone and wait a little while for stable release. If your wanting to test and get new features or if the current version isn't meeting your needs, upgrade as fast as possible. I did this for a while with retroarch when I had more time to mess with it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

I get the Beta's for many emulators, and generally speaking they're fairly well stable. I mean, it's really like anything in Beta, even LB has these issues. The, if it ain't broke, then don't fix it thing doesn't work for me. I always want the latest edition and version of my software, generally speaking. I honestly don't have much issues usually upgrading stuff either. People have been conditioned not to for some reason... I can't explain it. Testing it out is pretty easy though. If it gives you the results you're looking for, then use. Keep around the last version you had working just in case.

I am usually the same way. However lately every time I update something when it's in a beta state, it always for some reason messes something up (Not necessarily emulators). So it has put me off from running beta of anything. Although Just backing up your stuff is always a good way to revert back if you really have to. 

Hyperspin and Rocketlauncher (back before auto updates) is what really screwed me up for running betas lol.

And that's a totally healthy fear, I do get that. If you've been burned before. But, I think the perception needs to be that this is Beta or worse, Alpha software, and ... well shit can go wrong. The devs are warning you by putting Beta or Alpha in the build. At that point I think it's on to the user to do a quick backup before they upgrade or something may happen. Past that, I haven't really had many issues with Betas in a really long time, at least in terms of stuff breaking.

Not applicable to anyone in the thread but I think the term Beta has become massively misunderstood among gamers thanks to publishers essentially calling an early access demo a beta. Now when someone encounters a genuine beta and encounters sometimes serious bugs they get outraged.