LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox Not Launching

Just Charlie

Apparently there are a few windows updates that can cause this problem, suspected one are

KB2882822

KB2872339

KB2859537

If you have any or all installed then try uninstalling one at a time and see if it makes a difference, at least one is a security update so you may not want to keep it permanently uninstalled but it's probably worth a try in the short term to see if it fixes the problem.

13 hours ago, ckp said:

Well, this is a major bummer guys.  It's definitely not the norm as most systems have no issues running LB.

Just as a test, maybe try installing LB to a different drive, like C.. Don't just copy your existing files, but use the LB installer, and download the installer file first just to be sure everything is good.

This worked - if I install to another place, it opens normally, so it must be this install somehow. I suppose I will just rebuild everything here - if I copy over folders and database XML backup will that just work?

Thanks so much for your help, I appreciate it. The support network for Launchbox is amazing!

Edited by Just Charlie

It may be an xml file inside your Data folder causing the problem. If you rename your data folder in your working installation and copy your data folder from your non working installation, does the problem come back? If it does, maybe Jason would want a copy to see what's wrong and if it can happen to others. 

If it's not the Data folder, then I would just copy everything from inside your new working LB folder except the new Data folder, and paste it into your non working LB folder and see if that restores your original setup on your original drive. Back things up first if you are concerned.

Edited by ckp
  • Like 1

I have already deleted the non-working copy, but I replaced it with a new installation and then copied the following folders along with Launchbox.xml and License.xml:

• Images
  • Manuals
  • Music
  • Sounds
  • Themes
  • Videos

This seems to have me up and running again. Thank you for all the help.

For anyone else who encounters this: best off just reinstalling and restoring from a backup!

• 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 6/21/2017 at 11:23 PM, Just Charlie said:

This worked - if I install to another place, it opens normally, so it must be this install somehow. I suppose I will just rebuild everything here - if I copy over folders and database XML backup will that just work?

Thanks so much for your help, I appreciate it. The support network for Launchbox is amazing!

I have the same problem but only I have C: disk and subfolders to instal it and not working.

Edited by Lbufa