LaunchBox Community Forums

Missing options for Scan for Added Roms....

syntax_X

It's possible the Scan For Added roms feature missed some of the updates. I'm not sure how much it's actually used, because this is the first time I am hearing of it (I certainly don't use it). I'll pass this on to the Team though and see if it can't get fixed up soon.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, syntax_X said:

If you try to use this feature to scan for added roms it misses the last 2 option pages you usually get with importing roms.

If there is no option then what does it actually do? Replace all meta. leave existing fields or do not update??

dcd73ts9o9ytv48kp.jpg
um4_DdkWSu6rWxT8-jF-rQ.png

You never get that second pic on a initial import. As @DOS76 said that's the update metadata and images wizard, there wouldn't be anything to update or replace on a initial import.

15 minutes ago, syntax_X said:

Your probably confused because you have never used the feature :P

Those shots are the screens that are missing, here are the screens you get in order.

Screenshot_3.thumb.png.2d132b2b0e0549ef8bb2f68d60ba1b05.pngScreenshot_4.thumb.png.ff97fa4cf41c19eccedaf45bf40c25d4.pngScreenshot_5.thumb.png.1e841fb0524c0eb3644e22abb6c69a86.pngScreenshot_6.thumb.png.fabb1cd7c5a674ba3a4e0301dd74d904.png

Also that seems to be working fine, it has found that you have added 4 games to that folder, so it will download metadata and images for those four new games only.

6 minutes ago, syntax_X said:

still missing the choice of forcing dupes ect.

I would assume that is expected behaviour, @Jason Carr would have to answer that one. For me personally though that makes sense to me, if it scans the folder and a new game is there but with the same name as a already imported game it probably just skips it as it's already in your library. But again only Jason will no how it's coded and if that is the case or not.

Edit:

What @DOS76 said. :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, syntax_X said:

Ive noticed its kinda dangerous to use on some platforms.
My Sega -CD collection is .cue based but scanning for added roms grabs and imports all the bins...

Yep, that's why i don't import folders, or use the scan for added roms features, i use the add files and use the windows search to filter at import, especially for systems with .cue and .bin as i can just show the .cue's with the windows search. I think the only system i imported the folder for was my mame import, and i don't scan for added roms for that, if/when i update my set i just delete the system and re-import whilst un-checking all the media downloads then run the update metadata and images wizard to grab any new stuff after the import.

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

drag and drop with Windows search is my go to move for disc games (unless single isos) and just drag and drop for cart based games.

Yeah i always forget about the drag and drop, probably as i run Launchbox fullscreen it never occurs to me as i can't see the desktop.

Well, either way, intended or not if it's something that people think should be changed then so be it. There already needs to be a ticket for being able to filter out certain extensions better anyways (and I think there's a ticket on that). However, regardless of if this is an oversight or not, a ticket to get extra features added in that make sense is a good idea anyways. Like I said in my post, I hardly use it. I stopped past it's original release because I found it harder to use than the regular import.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

stopped past it's original release because I found it harder to use than the regular import.

Yeah same here, used it initially when it released but quickly reverted to the add files and windows search method. I just find that more precise as i can specify exactly what i want to import/add.

Funny, after my first use I did exactly the same thing too. Kind of.
I deleted every game from each platform except 1 and reimported each collection.
Got sick of having so many Asian titles id never play cluttering up the screen so i've made platforms for each like
Famicom, Super Famicom, Mega-Drive ect and given them logos and banners to suit and put them in their own platform categories. 

I consolidated USA and world Europe ect and use them for the normal platforms.
Much more pleasant to use.

HandheldsThick.thumb.png.40e370ed6c391a46e106a65aa1d65070.png

ConsolesThick.png

Edited by syntax_X