LaunchBox Community Forums

Missing mame rom error from Launchbox

Silentnight

Please watch the video carefully:

Here you will see me confirm the mame path is correct by launching mame from LB via right click. Mame would not launch if there was an error.

I then start the rom "Bezerk". Plays fine I shut it down.

Then in LB the imported rom from the same destination when launched: gives the missing rom notification.

I'm told this is an error to do with Mame not LB, in yet as you see here mame runs that rom fine. This happpens with any roms imported to LB bar "aliens". Which only loaded when I first used mames default rom folder in the parent directory. After that I set the destination for roms in mame back to the folder where all the others are, and copied aliens back in there. LB now loads that rom with no problem.

If anyone can shed light on this, it would be most appreciated.

* LB is set to run roms from destination and not copy over. It's also set to not extract roms, have spaces, etc.

Edited by Silentnight

Please please please please please just check your MAME.ini. Please. I'm seriously begging you. I'm not trolling, I'm not being mean, I'm 100% serious - please just check your MAME.ini and see what it has as the rompath. Please.

OK this is my rom path and a screen shot of where the roms are in folder, the directory setting in mame, along with path shown for rom in LB.

So to be clear I have a folder named MAME and then inside Mame's parent folder and the mame roms I have are separate.

I see no reason why LB would cause the rom missing error as shown in the above video with the evidence below, but it does while Mame works fine.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

Edited by Silentnight

Everything looks good there assuming your games are in the folder named "ROMS" in that first screenshot. Beyond that I'd just like to see the "Emulator" tab for the game in LB, and then a screenshot of the corresponding emulator entry (you can click "Edit" from the "Emulator" tab in a library entry).

There's the emulator path, and games shown in folder.

As I've said from the beginning, I'm not new to Mame only relatively new to LB.

Early last year LB worked fine for me with no issue. I had 100 or so roms all working at the time.

This could possibly be a windows 10 creators issue (like the crashing etc others are experiencing). I'm not on a beta build, my LB is the current default download build you have via email link.

e.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by Silentnight

I'm kindof at a loss at this point unless it actually is some Creator's Update thing (and I'm not sure why that'd have anything to do with it, but who knows).

When I said that LB is essentially a collection of Windows shortcuts, I was being quite literal. I say that because you can, in fact, directly replicate LB behavior outside of LB simply with a Windows shortcut. For example:

I made a Windows shortcut to MAME, and then simply added in the path to the game that I wanted to launch (in this case Berzerk) in quotes at the end. So the full path in the target field below is:

C:\Users\cojones\Downloads\MAME\mame64.exe "C:\Users\cojones\Downloads\Test\berzerk.zip"

595157b9eea82_MAMEShortcut1.thumb.jpg.2af957bb4711d5fdb6541ff926211100.jpgIn MAME I have the rom paths setup for both "C:\Users\cojones\Downloads\MAME\roms\" and "C:\Users\cojones\Downloads\Test\"

I then made another shortcut for 1944, which is located in MAME\roms\:

In this case the full target path is C:\Users\cojones\Downloads\MAME\mame64.exe "C:\Users\cojones\Downloads\MAME\roms\1944.zip"595157e2a049e_MAMEShortcut2.thumb.jpg.572ed924090a4d03e01100d50cc464c7.jpgC:\Users\cojones\Downloads\MAME\roms\:

59515daeac271_MAMERomfolder1.thumb.jpg.cd51f83723e6c210bec4262ca25438eb.jpgC:\Users\cojones\Downloads\Test\:

59515dbf3f183_MAMERomfolder2.thumb.jpg.5564f57e89d5e41ad23469d3de7c2353.jpg

Both of these shortcuts work. And LB is literally doing no more or less than this. It is saying "Take this file and direct it at this other file." It has no deeper interaction with MAME (or any other emulator, for that matter, with the exception of DOSBox) than that.

This is on Windows 7, so I can't speak to Windows 10, but all I can say is the behavior you're experiencing is not normal.

Ok, thanks for the screenshots and believe me, we are working on this issue and trying to work out what could possibly be the problem and we are all equally stumped at this point. Everything you are showing us appears to be correct and should work. If this is a bug on Launchbox it is certainly not one any of us have ever run into and any time anyone has had an issue it is always a rompath issue.

As you all have confirmed, this is most probably an issue outside of LB.

If LB is mostly a chain of paths and shortcuts then windows is the middle man here and that's the issue. So a windows update gone wayward somewhere (which may or may not happen all the time) will be hard to pin down.

I'm not in the position to do a ground zero of my OS as I use this for my business as well as gaming. It's a rig that's cost me a few grand to build so it's where I work as well as my media centre.

So in sum you would need someone with my issue (which may/may not be hard to find) who is prepared to do a windows re-install.

I'm not waiting for a solution from you guys, so don't worry. Just ensure this post doesn't disappear. 

I had read that on another thread and ensured I did a fresh install of the Nvidia driver (I'm on a 1080 ti) and direct x. I don't think it's Mame per say as i've tried the most recent builds UI and basic.

Anyway I'm nuking LB for now. I'll try a later build of LB and Mame few weeks down the line for my personal use and see how I get on. 

Edited by Silentnight

The problems with the Creators Update though are in LB starting up or some other error related to DX or .NET. Yours is specifically a Mame not finding roms issue.

At this point in time I am going to make a suggestion and obviously it is totally up to you whether or not you want to do it. Try out a command line version of Mame. I use the command line version myself because to me it so much faster to set up. All I do is generate an .ini file and change my rom path in it to where my roms are and it just works.

Check it out if you want or don't. The guide has helped quite a few people get their Mame up and running.

Ok I've fixed it. A friend mentioned something to me and I checked it out. 

This again may just be my machine, but here is what I found to be the issue:

The ini file on my machine for Mame is not recognised properly by LB in the Mame ini folder. I had to copy the ini file from the ini folder, and paste it in the main Mame directory.

Once I did that LB launched the roms and the custom settings for Mame for screen size etc and clip art on screen all worked. 

It's like a trick question, simple when you think about it, but not readily obvious this would be an issue.

So if anyone has any issues in future, ask them to ensure the main Mame directory has an ini file for LB to latch onto, and not have it just sat in it's own folder.

Edited by Silentnight
  • Like 1