LaunchBox Community Forums

Making the rom audit system much faster

syntax_X

The rom audit system is so slow, and it does stupid things like thinks that clear logos and backgrounds are box front images.

When I'm using the system I'm usually scanning for a single thing, like box fronts or backs ect.
To speed things up I go into the image folder of the system I'm running an audit on and place all image folders into a new folder so they don't get scanned, but leave the folder I'm scanning. If you do the same with music and video its even faster.
Much more accurate too.
Audit also does not audit box - back. So I rename that folder to "box - front", audit and treat the box - front column as backs, then when I'm ready name it back to "box - back" and download metadata/
Such a user friendly program isn't it?

There should be an option when running an audit as to what you actually want to scan for to speed things up, instead of the current "almost complete" audit which scans every little bit of meta for that system and displays only some of the info gathered..

Do others feel the same??

Edited by syntax_X

I love the Audit system. There isn't anything else like it on any other front end that I have used. (With another front end, not Hyperspin) I spent weeks going into each game individually to see what media was missing and handwriting notes and checklists into Google Keep as to what I was missing etc. I spent whole weekends doing this. With the LaunchBox Audit system, I was able to wrap up a similar patchy medialess system in just a few days (and not a handwritten note / checklist in sight).

Yes, I do agree that there could be more fields such as "Box - Back" and I wish the "Screenshot - Game Title", "Screenshot - High Scores", "Screenshot - Game Over" were given their own fields instead of being lumped in together in the "Screenshot Images" field.

So yeah, I agree that there could be some slight improvements made but am also happy with what is there now. I don't agree with your sneering tone though "Such a user friendly program isn't it?", "and it does stupid things like thinks that clear logos and backgrounds are box front images". I don't think these comments help anything in any way.

Edited by JamesBond@ge
  • Like 1

It is stupid to audit a clear logo as a box front. If you think otherwise then wow.

Credit given when credit due this thing needs to be fixed.

Youve spent a lot of time in the audit system and hasn't even realized it's flaws, you think you have full images and meta for each individual game you audited? Lol. You could have background images instead of box fronts and audit couldn't tell the difference. Having an audit system that consolidates fields is stupid in my eyes.

It's obvious that Jason consolidated the fields to speed up the Audit scan where he should of added a user selection page for fields to be scanned,skipping unwanted media altogether.

How many of those games you audited had launchbox database numbers after you fiddled with their names?? (Going back to how long the end user has to SPEND renaming roms to the unknown LB convention because Launchbox database was never built on crc32 check sums)

@Lordmonkus all my suggestions are solid improvements but they get nowhere, people here don't seem to care about functionality at all.

I'm still sitting here with Bigbox occasionally losing focus and I have to get my mouse and click to refocus. 

Can multi select game titles before they start (or even browse to different games and start them)

Arcade Maximus is more reliable when selecting titles and that's saying something... And never goes out of focus. That was built how long ago?

Still random crashes even after I suggested removing or changing the way LB BB handles 0 byte corrupt files (which we all got credit for lol)

I'm super keen to help out and get launchbox polished up but it's just not happening.

Edited by syntax_X

I am now locking this thread due to non constructive ranting because that is essentially all your posts are at this point @syntax_X

I am not saying you are not encountering some problems here and there but I can say with great certainty they are not on the level that you are claiming. I have not seen any of the image problems you are complaining about. You are welcome to file bug reports and feature requests using the bitbucket link at the top of the page "Issues/Requests" and @Jason Carr will deal with them when he decides to. Your complaining about them not being handled fast enough for your liking in posts like this is not only unhelpful but quite frankly insulting.

27 minutes ago, syntax_X said:

people here don't seem to care about functionality at all

This is simply untrue. If they were true I wouldn't have made that thread about getting some extra polish on existing features of Launchbox and even though you do not see this at all myself and other mods are constantly suggesting improvements but the fact is Jason only has so much time and he is the only person programming LB at the moment.

• Like 1

Just one last word regarding to your issue as it isn't a real issue/bug and more like a missing feature. The audit uses the image priorities and not individual image types. So if the audit consolidates weird image types together than that’s because you have set it up like that yourself.

Sure it would be great if LB would support every image type individually in the audit and I have requested that to Jason before but your issue can easily be solved by just properly setting up the image priorities in the LB options.

• Like 1