LaunchBox Community Forums

Change the Theme´s layout easily

Aagsar

Ive been using Bigbox for around a week and my biggest disspointment is I cant seem to be able to tweak the themes I install,at least in a friendly way..

Which is unexpected because I thought this program was made to have an easily customizable frontend .  Emuoader did this very well, btw.

Also talking about features, what about not needing to restart the computer in order for the changes to have effect. I have lost a lot of time trying to figure out why the changes I was doing ( backgrounds, Images..) were not working at all. The dammned program keep showing me the same background even when the dammit have  already been deleted.. 

The program is allright and 20€ is not a lot, but is rough as an alfa , not like a V 7.0.

After you make changes to images, you must refresh the cache. Go to Options > Images > Refresh All. Restarts are not required at all. Yes, the caching could be smarter and identify when changes are done, but there's only one developer.

Does the versioning make sense? Absolutely not. I'd say it's version 1.7.6 (Core version, Feature set, Patch / Beta). 

Theming vs customization of features are different. You can easily toggle features but customization of theme is done via XAML. Hyperspin themes are done in a similar fashion but in XML. This is to prevent limitations and enable creativity.

Regarding the cost - that's like buying lunch twice or buying coffee for a week. It's not a lot and you support the development. 

Edited by Kevin_Flynn

Hi fanboy,

thank you for the help ;)

Ok refresh images ( i think i did but ok ), noted. But even if I close launchbox totally and send the original background to the bind , when I open launchbox again , the bacground or whatever is still there..  Its not just that the caching could be smarter 

Anyway I was sure I was going to be able to set the layout as I wish and is a bummer thats not the case..  

22 hours ago, Kevin_Flynn said:

This is to prevent limitations and enable creativity.

Thats very funny  :)

Also the categories filter is not enought when you are dealing with thousands of games , in Bigbox I cant even set a platform-genre filter. It has to be or one or the other. So sorry , but there are things here that are barely acceptable for a 20€,  minmum,  software.

Also sorry, I dont feel any pity for the single developer , who must be living in a paradisiac Island right now lauguing of us all with a mojito and a naked girl in his arms....

Edited by Aagsar
writed the word fanboy three times, and that was just too much.

If you feel that there are features missing you need then feel free to request them. Just go to Help & Support in the site header, and choose request a feature.

On 17/07/2017 at 5:22 PM, Aagsar said:

Which is unexpected because I thought this program was made to have an easily customizable frontend .

Launchbox is actually designed to be a easy to setup and use frontend, which in my opinion it does very well. The customisation comes in the fact that you can create your own themes for it if you so wish, there are many in the download section that completely change the look of Bigbox for you to download. Of course if you don't like any of the user created themes then you are free to design and code your own, the theming engine is very flexible in that regard.

aha I'm no fanboy as there are a lot of things I disagree with to. 

For instance, the filtering is too limited. I recommended the ability to do things like: (1 AND 2) OR (3 AND 4) but was told it would be 'too complicated' for users.

I'd also prefer content that is downloaded to retain their no intro names or at least filename of the game. Currently, I import my artwork and videos manually.

Features keep getting bumped out without polishing existing ones.

It's a good product nonetheless. Try RetroFE. Less features, but it's open source (free).

Edited by Kevin_Flynn

On 7/18/2017 at 8:48 AM, Aagsar said:

Hi fanboy,

thank you for the help ;)

Ok refresh images ( i think i did but ok ), noted. But even if I close launchbox totally and send the original background to the bind , when I open launchbox again , the bacground or whatever is still there..  Its not just that the caching could be smarter 

Anyway I was sure I was going to be able to set the layout as I wish and is a bummer thats not the case..  

Thats very funny  :)

Also the categories filter is not enought when you are dealing with thousands of games , in Bigbox I cant even set a platform-genre filter. It has to be or one or the other. So sorry , but there are things here that are barely acceptable for a 20€,  minmum,  software.

Also sorry, I dont feel any pity for the single developer , who must be living in a paradisiac Island right now lauguing of us all with a mojito and a naked girl in his arms....

LaunchBox reads the cache files, if you make changes you have to refresh the cache, why is that so hard for you to understand? Also calling people fanboys for no reason is a pretty douche thing to do, especially when that person what trying to help you. You are clearly confused, or a troll, likely a troll. That developer who "must be living in a paradisiac Island right now" does weekly live streams, and no, he doesn't live on an island sipping mojitos. He works his ass off making LB what it is, which is a damn amazing program. Please go back under your bridge troll, you suck at what you do.