LaunchBox Community Forums

Problem with Mednafen cores of RetroArch

ww97

I wanna use latest version of RetroArch (1.6.3) for Saturn. I have downloaded three cores of Mednafen: Lynx, PCE-CD and Saturn. When clicking the game directly from LB, opens nothing. When loading the Saturn core from RetroArch itself and selecting the Saturn game, it loads up the screen with the bar saying that it's PCE-CD core!!! (So, black screen.) But why? (maybe because games of both systems come in ISO.)

P.S.: PCE-CD core was the first Mednafen core that I downloaded.

PP.S.: Don't advice me for some ABCs, I have the BIOS and core dll filename is typed in the parameters field correctly.

If you are 100% certain you have the correct bios and Retroarch is detecting them and happy with them and you have the correct command line parameter there are only 2 possibilities left. Bad disk images or you are not pointing to the .cue sheet.

Generally speaking you want your disk images to be in .cue + .bin format, multiple bins are fine as long as they are all indexed in the .cue sheet.

4 hours ago, ww97 said:

When loading the Saturn core from RetroArch itself and selecting the Saturn game, it loads up the screen with the bar saying that it's PCE-CD core!!!

Right i'm confused here, what bar are you talking about? I never see a bar when loading any game in Retroarch.

14 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

If you are 100% certain you have the correct bios and Retroarch is detecting them and happy with them and you have the correct command line parameter there are only 2 possibilities left. Bad disk images or you are not pointing to the .cue sheet.

Generally speaking you want your disk images to be in .cue + .bin format, multiple bins are fine as long as they are all indexed in the .cue sheet.

Yo it worked for .bin ones. But what about .mdf or .iso dumps? No other way?

Also, the sound is a bit choppy, in comparison to Yabuase. Is this normal? (Why the heck that Steve Austin says it's better than Yabause?!)

Edited by ww97

You will have to open RA and go to info and see which file types that the system excepts I don't believe for Saturn you are going to be able to use mdf or iso but you should check and Mednafen Saturn core is better because it is more accurate but with that it becomes more resource intensive if you are having stuttering issues you can try turning on threaded video but it will come with a slight increase in input lag. What are your system specs

I used the conversion tools and the prob with .iso also fixed. By the prob with .mdf is not still fixed: I converted it using IsoBuster (Extracting Raw data) and converting it using PowerISO. But the converted .cue file boots the system bios and errors that "Disc unsuitable for this system". Bummer.

Edited by ww97

13 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

You will have to open RA and go to info and see which file types that the system excepts I don't believe for Saturn you are going to be able to use mdf or iso but you should check and Mednafen Saturn core is better because it is more accurate but with that it becomes more resource intensive if you are having stuttering issues you can try turning on threaded video but it will come with a slight increase in input lag. What are your system specs

CPU i7

GPU AMD Radeon R7 350

OS Win 8.1

3 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

yeah boss saying you have a i7 could mean you have a 920 from 2009 or a 7770K from the latest series of intel chips so that doesn't really help out.

WTH you are saying my system is a potato for this ?!

P.S.: I checked out the cfg right now. Threaded video is already false.

Edited by ww97

No not at all I'm just saying when you tell someone your chip you should include the model as saying its an i7 can mean a lot of things. If its an i7 it should be able to push Saturn but if its a 920 having issues compared to a 7770K having issues it would be different.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

No, what he is saying is there is a big difference between a nearly 10 year old i7 and a current gen one.

Aha, I got it. My notebook is Lenovo IdeaPad 500 which it bought it on March '16. I don't assume that its CPU is old.

If you hit ctrl+x and go to systems in Windows 8.1 it should tell you your chip and the fact that its a mobile chip changes things too not significantly but its good to know when troubleshooting issues.

Edited by DOS76