LaunchBox Community Forums

Coolest Theme and how to set it up

ckp

hi, i'm feeling crazy and adventurous, and want to finally try the coolest LB theme (most popular, since coolest is very subjective), regardless of it needing a strong system or not (i have a beast).

so, i'm wondering if someone can point me to the steps required to get this theme fully up and running and how to restore everything back to my default plain old out of box Bigbox (cuz i like the default!).

i don't want any of my current videos used for my default BB to be overwritten (like the NyNy platform videos i added), so i can restore back if desired. guess i should black some stuff up.

i have never ventured into the custom theme LB world, so i know absolutely nothing about it. have a feeling there is more to it than just setting a theme name in some drop list, but that would be great if that's all you have to do.

Depends on the theme, but for most that's pretty much all you have to do. The creators will usually give instructions, like installing a few fonts, and you may have to tell windows not to freak out over the dlls. That's it. I installed like 8 themes in 30 minutes a couple weeks ago. Zero to hero. My personal favorite is the switch theme.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Installing a new theme is usually just as simple as unzipping it to the theme folder, then going into bigbox options and switching to it. Nothing will be overwritten at all and the new theme will use all the images and video's and such that the default theme does. Also most of the newer themes come with a settings .xml that should automatically change any specific settings that the theme in question needs, and if you don't like the theme just switch back and delete the folder from your theme folder.

As for best that is very subjective, i personally like critical zone (which you already have as it's built into launchbox these day's) and i regularly use  @Grila fundamental theme, it's really clean with big box art.

• Like 1

Most (if not all) of the themes have their own images and video folders so you don't have to worry about any of your default being overwritten. I use that to use different platform videos with different themes, like Viking's vids for the Big Couch theme and NyNy's for the default theme, etc.