Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Lordmonkus

Theme Reviews

Recommended Posts

I just wanted to say something here to the community in regards to user reviews of user created themes.

If you are going to post a review, especially a lower than average one please post a constructive criticism explaining why you don't like the theme. A simple "I don't like it" or "I couldn't get it to work" is not sufficient.

At the same time if you don't agree with a review please do not report reviews you do not agree as trolls with even if it is "I don't like it" or "I couldn't get it to work". You can simply click "No" on the "Did you find this review helpful ?" box. People will see that review is worthless and ignore it.598ba0b5ad3bf_2017-08-0919_54_00-CityHunter-BigBoxCustomThemes-LaunchBoxCommunityForums.png.e8ffefa40d0e409297b01fcdfee96ff6.pngIf someone is truly being a douche about a review then yes by all means report it and I or someone else will remove it and warn the reviewer for bad behavior. Otherwise I will not be removing reviews just because someone "doesn't like or agree with the review"

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why even have reviews anyway? if a person likes it, theyre gonna get it. Surely ppl can think for themselves. Reviews are just a way to have community conflict. For this particular thing, there's not even a need to have reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15-8-2017 at 3:19 AM, shinra358 said:

why even have reviews anyway? if a person likes it, theyre gonna get it. Surely ppl can think for themselves. Reviews are just a way to have community conflict. For this particular thing, there's not even a need to have reviews.

Reviews can be very useful, screenshots don't always tell the entire story. A good review can be very informative and can tell you if a theme, or anything else for that matter,  will likely fit your needs or not. On top of that reviews are also timesavers, removing the need to weed out the good from the bad, mostly. Sure they're not perfect, but they do provide an added value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theme creators always leave vids to 'tell the full story' :P. Ppl will give their feedback in the theme's thread regardless.

 

" On top of that reviews are also timesavers, removing the need to weed out the good from the bad, mostly. "

More like divide the community, give some creators a big head, or isolate not so 'popular' ones. For example, little do you know that this sentence I quoted can seem very disrespectful to 'non-popular' creators. Ppl can decide for themselves what they like. I do know alot of ppl don't know how and follow what ppl tell them to, which is why it needs to be forced that they choose on their own. Sorry, but that's just how internet culture seems to be. Real life for that matter. It's everywhere in the bible :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually completely removed the original CityHunter theme section that had 14K downloads but was ruined by a troll review that brought the rating down simply because someone didn't read the instructions. I put a ticket in to have it removed and contacted Jason about it but nothing ever happened and I never got a reply and I waited for weeks. So with CityHunter 2 I said F it and started from scratch. Really sucks, I was proud of the 14k downloads. Day 1 accounts should not be able to affect a theme or any other content without there being a limitation or requirement that someone must meet before being able to do so. Maybe a 20+ post minimum or something, not someone that literally has 1 post and it being a nasty review that is completely false.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay I don't want to be a dick here or start any shit but I think your putting way to much value on the rating system cause truthfully I don't know what any themes rating is and only use them based on my own assessment of the visuals not based on any reviews or rating. The fact you have 14k downloads should speak all the volume that you need that people like and appreciate your work without any need to censor any ones opinion no matter how petty or uninformed it is.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Okay I don't want to be a dick here or start any shit but I think your putting way to much value on the rating system cause truthfully I don't know what any themes rating is and only use them based on my own assessment of the visuals not based on any reviews or rating. The fact you have 14k downloads should speak all the volume that you need that people like and appreciate your work without any need to censor any ones opinion no matter how petty or uninformed it is.

ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, keltoigael said:

Maybe a 20+ post minimum or something

We should also have the same thing for people reporting things such as reviews they don't like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, keltoigael said:

I actually completely removed the original CityHunter theme section that had 14K downloads but was ruined by a troll review that brought the rating down simply because someone didn't read the instructions. I put a ticket in to have it removed and contacted Jason about it but nothing ever happened and I never got a reply and I waited for weeks. So with CityHunter 2 I said F it and started from scratch. Really sucks, I was proud of the 14k downloads. Day 1 accounts should not be able to affect a theme or any other content without there being a limitation or requirement that someone must meet before being able to do so. Maybe a 20+ post minimum or something, not someone that literally has 1 post and it being a nasty review that is completely false.

Uh dude, seriously right now? Have you been on the internet recently? I've got Youtube videos that I've spent a week or more on that might have 10, 20, 30 dislikes on them, with no comment as to why whatsoever. Not even a dumb reason - literally no reason. The upvotes outweigh the downvotes, but it's still a negative response for no reason.

Does that ruin the content? Well, all the other people that liked it, and said they appreciated it, would probably indicate that the answer is no.

The internet has trolls. It's nobody's job to shield you from those. It's something you have to deal with the moment you set digital foot onto the glorious and terrible interwebs. If somebody's being abusive, sure, that's when action needs to be taken, but somebody saying "I don't like this." is their opinion, legitimate or not.

You're a smart, cool guy, but this is quite literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say. Grow a skin dude.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2017 at 8:01 PM, lordmonkus said:

If you are going to post a review, especially a lower than average one please post a constructive criticism explaining why you don't like the theme. A simple "I don't like it" or "I couldn't get it to work" is not sufficient.

And this is exactly what I reported.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah and your reports of the review you did not like is exactly why I made this thread in the first place. But I am only asking that people provide some detail for why the bad review, that does not mean I will be removing bad reviews unless it is something really egregious like a profanity laden rant.

I will not censor reviews that do not require it and I will not be removing reviews just because you or your friends don't agree with the bad review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Uh dude, seriously right now? Have you been on the internet recently? I've got Youtube videos that I've spent a week or more on that might have 10, 20, 30 dislikes on them, with no comment as to why whatsoever. Not even a dumb reason - literally no reason. The upvotes outweigh the downvotes, but it's still a negative response for no reason.

Does that ruin the content? Well, all the other people that liked it, and said they appreciated it, would probably indicate that the answer is no.

The internet has trolls. It's nobody's job to shield you from those. It's something you have to deal with the moment you set digital foot onto the glorious and terrible interwebs. If somebody's being abusive, sure, that's when action needs to be taken, but somebody saying "I don't like this." is their opinion, legitimate or not.

You're a smart, cool guy, but this is quite literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say. Grow a skin dude.

My opinion is just as subjective as yours. I see absolutely nothing wrong with what I did. If someone doesn't like what I make or do I am completely fine with. What I am not fine with is a user who reflects their negative opinion about something without even trying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lordmonkus said:

Yeah and your reports of the review you did not like is exactly why I made this thread in the first place. But I am only asking that people provide some detail for why the bad review, that does not mean I will be removing bad reviews unless it is something really egregious like a profanity laden rant.

I will not censor reviews that do not require it and I will not be removing reviews just because you or your friends don't agree with the bad review.

Well, simple feedback would have been really nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree but pulling your theme just because 1 person gave it a bad review with zero input is petty. I am sorry your ego got bruised by a single bad vote among the 14 thousand downloads and the many 5 star ratings it received. The only thing you achieved by pulling your theme is that now there is a very popular theme that is no longer available and you are coming off as childish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa whoa whoa. I never pulled my theme. Its City Hunter 2, not City Hunter. Its a new theme and there for I treated it as such. I think you guys are over reacting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My apologies, I do not pay attention to any themes because I really don't care about them. I was only going by what you posted which was that you removed it. I did not know that it was simply re-uploaded as City Hunter 2, I just assumed it was a completely different theme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CityHunter 2 is a different theme, it's been rebuilt from the ground up, new code, engine and features. There was no reason to keep using the same "upload" and rename it in order to keep it front and present. I don't have an ego that needs to stay on the top so to speak. I took that 1 negative review's feedback to make it better and got with EatKinola to embed the fonts so that users now only have to drop a folder with in a folder and everything just works. It certainly helped me decided to start fresh and over though. It did make me angry that a user couldn't follow simple instructions but I get it. I was within my right to report the review because it felt like trolling, even if it wasn't. I understand you have a job to do but a simple message from someone would have been really nice to hear rather than sitting in the dark and accidentally stumbling on this thread. I had no idea this was about me. I am having some serious Hyperspin flashbacks right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I don't know what went on with Hyperspin but can assure you I won't be letting this community go to shit which is why I won't be removing reviews at peoples requests simply because you don't like or agree with the review, I will remove them if they are abusive of course.

I will also tell you that if you have a concern about a post or want a more hands on discussion about an issue with things on the forums feel free to message me directly instead of using the "report" button.

Don't let one bad review get you down though, like @Zombeaver said, this is the internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Well I don't know what went on with Hyperspin but can assure you I won't be letting this community go to shit which is why I won't be removing reviews at peoples requests simply because you don't like or agree with the review, I will remove them if they are abusive of course.

I will also tell you that if you have a concern about a post or want a more hands on discussion about an issue with things on the forums feel free to message me directly instead of using the "report" button.

Don't let one bad review get you down though, like @Zombeaver said, this is the internet.

TIL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's just go ahead and be perfectly clear here, in case there's any confusion - you can (and should) report a review that was, for example: 

"Five stars! Kill all the Jews. :D "

Do not report a review of:

"1 star. I hate this theme because the 80's were terrible and cyberpunk sucks, therefore this theme also sucks."

or

"1 star. Theme dun work. I have awsom Alienware rig, should work k? lol"

Both are dumb. Neither will be deleted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×