LaunchBox Community Forums

Playing games on laptop Keyboard

kinetiko

FYI: Noob here.... I have managed to setup Retroarch on Launchbox; however I am not able to play games accurately on my laptops keyboard as there is no configuration that I can access for the keys, it seems the option is grayed out.  The only working keys for games on my keyboard I believe are:  X, C, R, P (pause) Space (reset) and Shift, but I do not have access to a directional Pad either :(  UP, DW, Left and Right don't do anything when pressed. Do I have to buy BigBox as the only way to access this configuration option ??? Please Help...  Also I have tried a PC controller  (PS3 style) from GameStop with no luck, but I anin't worried about that now.. If someone can guide me on a how to setup a keyboard Launchbox that would be highly appreciate it.  Thank you

Are you talking about controlling your games or Launchbox with the keyboard ?

If you are talking about Launchbox your keyboard will work but it may be a bit awkward since it is meant more for a mouse. BigBox functions much easier with a keyboard.

If you are talking about the emulator (in this case you mentioned Retroarch) you should be able to use the keyboard but a controller would be best. To get your controller working in Retroarch make sure it is plugged or turned on if it is wireless. Load up Retroarch and go to Configuratio (cogwheel) > Input > Input User 1 Binds > User 1 Device Index and press the left or right arrow. If your laptop doesn't have the 4 directional keys there may be a "Function" key combo to press with another key to replicate the arrows. The function key is most often labeled "Fn" and is usually blue coloured text and the other keys should have a 2nd or 3rd label on it in blue text that will work with the function key.

If all that doesn't work I would suggest buying an Xbox 360 controller for PC since it is by far the most compatible controller out there and will work with Retroarch automatically out of the box. You mentioned the controller you bought was a "PS3 style", was it some 3rd party clone controller ? Sometimes those may not work within WIndows.

BigBox and emulator supporting keyboard have nothing to do with each other so buying Bigbox won't have any effect on whether or not your keyboard will work with the emulator.

Thank you for your prompt reply.  Starting with your first question, Yes I am trying to play Launchbox on a keyboard on my Lenovo yoga 710 14inch i7

I tried setting the keys for my keyboard using Retroarch, but it was unsuccessful by going under Config > Input >...( I made the changes and the D-Pad was still not working).  I decided to do the same with Launchbox only to find that the options if any are grayed out.  The Fn key did not yield anything when trying to get any response from the arrow keys.  I have used my Xbox 360 wired controller on PC and I get no action from it, no response even after detection and driver update; which is why I used the 3rd party PS3 controller.

If there are any last suggestions please let me know; if not i will keep digging into this.

Thank you again lordmonkus

Capture1.thumb.PNG.5fd2a4e69977dfac2d32571feb378c54.PNGCapture2.thumb.PNG.316e165be1a998425b882d8e495cd48f.PNG

The Xbox controller I connected it with kept giving green lights going in a clockwise motion and my Afterglow PS3 as I said before gives no response either . I just can't get my head around as to why the directional arrows on my keyboard are not responding to any game (frustrating). I feel the key config on Retroarch should had been made as simple as any Snes emulator for instance, which is very easy and efficient. Launchbox on the other had only gives a gamepad/joystick option as shown in the image above......Why you no add keyboard !  (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) LOL.  Anywho, I'll figure this out. Thank you

Capture4.thumb.PNG.cca3444888ad62c20f998222383d614c.PNG

Launchbox is meant to be used with a mouse because it is the "management" side of the software but the keyboard does work. BigBox has a keyboard section for mappings in it.

59af8894f160e_2017-09-0601_32_21-LaunchBoxBigBox.thumb.png.7ea202861a5b767e64c6ef98cbe164c1.pngAs for Retroarch that is a separate issue from Launchbox, Launchbox has nothing to do with the controller settings in any emulator. I have never used Retroarch without a controller but if you don't have a controller hooked up to it the keyboard should work. I know my keyboard works within the Retroarch UI and any controller I have ever plugged in (including my flightstick) is detected and can be mapped. It even autodetects and configures the XBox controller and others like my Logitech F710 and Hori Fight Commander 4.

If using the mouse as a directional is what you mean, then it had no effect. I will continue to trouble shoot my controller's issue the minimal options available on Launchbox. If not, then I might get BigBox since it includes mapping options for keyboard configuration.  Lots of great info here. :)

Keep in mind the controls you set in BigBox (that goes for any controls in Launchbox as well) have no affect on the controls used to play games in each emulator. BigBox controls do not control game play. It is only meant for moving around in BigBox. 

You need to set you controls how you want them in RetroArch directly in order to have you controls how you want them in a game. Retroarch will allow you to bind both a keyboard key and a controller button to each input. In the image you attached you have keyboard keys mapped in RetroArch already. It looks like your directional inputs are linked to numeric pad keys 8,2,4,6. If your keyboard has up, down, left, right arrow keys this may be why when you press them in a game nothing happens. The commands are mapped to the numeric pad keys and not the arrow keys. You need to rebind them to the keys you want. 

Well Launchbox is brainnumb when it comes to recognizing my controller unless. So I get it, BigBox won't control gamepads features, but then why are the options grayed out and only accessible with Premium version (I assume).

I am clueless on setting inputs on Retroarch as I cannot find any libretro files and it seems the only way is by getting InputMapper (which after downloading seems as a useless tool) FYI: I got no numeric calc pad on my 14 inch laptop, I do offcourse have a directional pad.

Oh the madness...., look at the Znes emulator key config attached (why can't it be that easy???? programmers...

znescap.thumb.PNG.ce51850ecd6b1188b335dbc44255a3a7.PNG

DSC_0251.JPG

DSC_0252.JPG

Ok, what are you asking to be more simple ? Retroarch or Launchbox ?

There is no controller mapping in Launchbox because of the fact it is meant to be mouse driven though a controller will somewhat work. In BigBox mode you can remap some buttons but not everything because you don't need to remap the d-pad for navigation.59b316977bb21_2017-09-0818_14_55-LaunchBoxBigBox.thumb.png.ddaa2cb29416ab09f1fc5d0a45bbc010.png

At this point in time I have no clue what exactly you are asking because you seem to be equating a controller in Launchbox to Retroarch and they are 2 different things and really other than launching games through it they have nothing to do with each other.

To setup your controller in Retroarch go to the Input Config window that you posted a screenshot of above and then User 1 Bind All, it should go through a bunch of prompts asking you what you want to bind things to.

Certain functions are greyed out because they are premium features.

@lordmonkus Pretty much summed it all up. Launchbox/BigBox are simply the front ends to organize and assist you in launching your games. You have to set up game play controls in each of the unique emulators you use. 

Retroarch control set-up is pretty easy. Since you said you have both directional arrows and a 10-key pad on your laptop then launch a game and use 8,4,6,2 to move in a game and it should work since in your screen cap those are the keys you have up, down, left, and right mapped to. 

Like Lordmonkus advised if you want to change them open Retroarch and go to inputs. Move down to player 1 input binds and start setting your custom options. To change a control move down to it, hit enter, then click the key you want to map it to. It will then save the input to the key you chose. 

In the screen cap you posted here I can also see it looks like RA is recognizing a controller (User 1 Device Type: RetroPad w/Analog). So it looks like RA can see a controller connected. After you mapped your keyboard keys you can go back and hit enter on a User 1 button and then hit the button on your joystick you want to map it to. RA will then have a button mapped to both a keyboard key and a controller button. 

Capture1.thumb.PNG.5fd2a4e69977dfac2d32571feb378c54.PNG

Edited by Retro808

Great, this clears a few important things on Launchbox and Retroarch. This being the case, I should be able to take a look at them and get them working soon. You guys are a great resource :) , I shall carry on... Thanks again

Edited by kinetiko

I would say first thing do not worry about controls in LB/BB. Get your controls in RetroArch set up first. I would recommend anytime you add a new emulator and games set the emulator up first outside of Launchbox/BigBox before you add it. Make sure your controls there work, your games play, and the emulator is set up right. 

If you get stuck let the forum know. We have a great bunch of members that are willing to help out when they can. 

Edited by Retro808
  • Like 1