LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame error upon loading game

ironkong

when i try and boot mame games now in launch box version 7.11 i get an error box that says(LUA ERROR) plugins/boot/lua:39:attempt to index a nil value (global'mame _manager')

the games worked fine without this error it just started happening. The game sload when i click the ok symbol but it didt happen like this before

i am using mameuifx32_0171

This started when I tried to use a more updated mame emulator. then is witched back to the old one and the issue is still happening. How do I stop it?

i use mameuifx64_161 ver on two machines.  One works fine and the other started giving me an error.  I'll try to recreate the error tomorrow but its late and I'm tired.  Anyhow, I reinstalled launchbox and that didn't help.  I can run the games fine when starting them through the mame interface but it errors out when trying to launch through launchbox.  I tried the tool change rom folder path and that didn't work...My solution I ran across for the time being is having my mame roms in both the launchbox games folder called Arcade and in the rom folder of the mame directory.  For whatever reason, it works but having duplicate roms is annoying.  Hopefully that makes sense.  Not sure it will help you.

I am having a similar problem, I am new to launch box so Im not sure if I made a simple error or not, but I followed Sentai brads tutorial though.  I used FBA instead of mame though, but when I try to load the game it says Users error launch box doesn't support FB Alpha.  I'm not sure what the problem is, does anyone have suggestions?

49 minutes ago, yodermouth said:

i use mameuifx64_161 ver on two machines.  One works fine and the other started giving me an error.  I'll try to recreate the error tomorrow but its late and I'm tired.  Anyhow, I reinstalled launchbox and that didn't help.  I can run the games fine when starting them through the mame interface but it errors out when trying to launch through launchbox.  I tried the tool change rom folder path and that didn't work...My solution I ran across for the time being is having my mame roms in both the launchbox games folder called Arcade and in the rom folder of the mame directory.  For whatever reason, it works but having duplicate roms is annoying.  Hopefully that makes sense.  Not sure it will help you.

Double check in the MameUI where you have it pointed to for roms and then compare it to a game in Launchbox. Right click and choose edit on a game in Launchbox and if the path where that rom is differs from where Mame is pointed than there is your issue. Strange though that you say it used to work. When you imported your roms did you have LB leave it where it was or choose the option to move them into the LB folder structure?

Edited by Retro808

I did all of that. I also had launchbox leave it and I also had it move them. I have double check those directories to make sure they're pointing correctly and the issues still exist. I'm not by my computer at this moment, but I'll double check again just to make sure I'm not losing my mind. :-)

Last night I did this and it did not work. I'm fairly familiar with the Mame UI and somewhat with launchbox. I generally can figure stuff out like this for the most part. :-) However, I just went and reset it up the way you asked me to, and now it works. I cannot explain it. It's a mystery to me. Maybe I'm losing my mind. I wouldn't toss that out. :-) Thanks for the help.