LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME and Launchbox problem since MAME 0.186

LuismaSP89

Hi, i´ll try to explain this issue as easily as possible:

There´s a big problem since MAME 0.186 (MAMEUI in my case) when you open a game using launchbox, the game launches as expected, but it seems that it doesn´t apply the config of MAME and it opens with default settings.

For example, if you configure MAME to use a custom filter (hq4x, super eagle, xbrz, etc) and you don´t want to maintain the aspect ratio of 4:3 (I use stretch) this works as expected if you launch the game through the MAME application (MAMEUI64.exe) the filter is working and all your settings the same. But if you launch the game through the Launchbox, the game is launched, but all with default settings.

I don´t know why this is happening, but it happens if you use Launchbox (No matters what version) and MAMEUI since 0.186 (Tested also with 0.187, 0.188, 0.189, and 0.190 - the latest)

I used different MAME romsets for each version, of course, the correct romset update that the MAME version needs.

All is working ok if use 0.185 version of MAMEUI and backwards (Tested with 0.185, 0.184, 0.183, and 0.182) all of these works as expected.

Any ideas? Maybe the 0.186 version of MAMEUI introduced a change that cause this problem with launchbox :S

Launchbox doesn't change the settings or ini files whatsoever.

And since I don't use the UI version of Mame I am unsure of what would cause this issue for you. I use the command line version and it works perfectly without any extra work. I do know that @Zombeaver has used the UI version without issues but mainly he uses the Retroarch Mame core now.

19 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Launchbox doesn't change the settings or ini files whatsoever.

And since I don't use the UI version of Mame I am unsure of what would cause this issue for you. I use the command line version and it works perfectly without any extra work. I do know that @Zombeaver has used the UI version without issues but mainly he uses the Retroarch Mame core now.

Yes, i know Launchbox doesn´t change ini files of MAME or something else, but is strange that it works with all versions before the 0.186. That´s the reason for me to say that maybe the 0.186 introduced a change that Launchbox can´t manage.

11 minutes ago, LuismaSP89 said:

Yes, i know Launchbox doesn´t change ini files of MAME or something else, but is strange that it works with all versions before the 0.186. That´s the reason for me to say that maybe the 0.186 introduced a change that Launchbox can´t manage.

Well if that is the case have you checked to see if mameui has changed any of the commands that launchbox will normally use to launch things through the command line?

I'm with @lordmonkus here i use the standard mame and have no issues launching mame games at all.

11 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

I wish I had an answer for you, the last time I used a UI version of Mame was 151 or 154. Right now im currently using 186 command line version and there is no issues reading the mame.ini file and its settings.

Yes, and you´re right, using command line MAME works ok. The problem is with MAMEUI. So, MAMEUI is broken in Launchbox with version 0.186 and after... what a shame :(

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Well if that is the case have you checked to see if mameui has changed any of the commands that launchbox will normally use to launch things through the command line?

I'm with @lordmonkus here i use the standard mame and have no issues launching mame games at all.

Nope, i´m not familiar with command line in MAME, that´s the reason i use MAMEUI.

13 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

I found the problem. Since the 0.186, mameui, when is used with launchbox, can´t load the config stored in the .ini folder, and loads the config from the main folder. So this problem can be solved by copy and paste the .ini folder content in the main folder. Maybe this can helps other users with the same problem.