LaunchBox Community Forums

Performance and OS choice?

Whistler NL

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the whole arcade/emu scene but I was wondering what the best windows version is for running launchbox and emu's? Windows 7 or 10?

I'm currently running win7 on:

Asus H81M-K motherboard

Intel Pentium G3258 - 3.2 GHz

8GB ram

Palit GeForce GTX 750Ti StormX OC (2GB GDDR5)

22'' Ilyama lcd Monitor

128gb ssd (windows) and 2TB hdd for roms/emu/bigbox/...

Also had some BigBox performance issues but turned out it was the BigCouch Theme that was causing troubles for me. Now using the new CityHunter Theme which mostly runs real smooth. Although sometimes it totally freezes at least thats what it looks like, when I hit the windows key on the keyboard and then back into to BigBox it works again.

Maybe the following question is for this forum although all of you must have a ton of experience :). MAME runs fine with most games but when playing Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat or even Final Fight it performs poorly. It runs around 70%  and audio stutters. I'm only getting it to run around 100% by enabling "auto skip frames", audio improves but still not great.

Does anybody has any advise for me?

Many Thanks,

newbie Kevin

Hello and welcome to the community! Its been said by the dev that Windows 10 is the best OS for LB supposedly some of the .net code is optimized for it (or something like that) but with that said there are plenty of folks here still using Windows 7 without any issues.

When BB is freezing it is probably actually just losing focus and a mouse click or alt tab will refocus it

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Hello and welcome to the community! Its been said by the dev that Windows 10 is the best OS for LB supposedly some of the .net code is optimized for it (or something like that) but with that said there are plenty of folks here still using Windows 7 without any issues.

When BB is freezing it is probably actually just losing focus and a mouse click or alt tab will refocus it

Okay thx!

Still have a lot to learn about the community, some of the things are really confusing but all the tutorials help a lot! Gonna look into upgrading to Win10, want things to be as optimal as they can be!

About the freezing, you're probably right. Now I still have the keyb and mouse connected because I am still working on it. Hopefully once I am done it won't happen anymore. I also read about changing the shell from explorer to BigBox, that would definitely fix any focussing issues I am guessing!