LaunchBox Community Forums

Using a controller in mame

mADjAckJ

To set up your controller in Mame have your USB controller plugged in, launch a game and hit tab on your keyboard. this will open the Mame settings and from here you can set global Mame controls and unique controls for each machine/game. Just choose the control, hit enter on your keyboard, then hit to corresponding button on your USB controller you want to map it to. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
9 minutes ago, Darkman042 said:

I have the same problem! Did anyone ever figure this out? Mine actually works in MAME when not running launchbox. When I run MAME games through Launch box the controls are not recognized.

There should be zero difference between mame itself or mame loaded from Launchbox. The only way it could is if something is in the default command line in Launchbox for your mame emulator entry is somehow overriding it. Or you are using one of those non official GUI versions of mame, in which case its a bug in that version of mame, and can be fixed my copying your mame.ini file to the root of the mame folder.

Edited by neil9000

I wish that were the case, but for me there is.  I have the mame.ini in the root folder already, and I tried taking out all of my command line arguments, but no dice.  In MAME the controls work perfectly, but launching it with launch box they don't work.  When the game starts, I can hit tab and see that the contols are still mapped, but the joysticks and buttons do nothing. I'm using Windows 10, and use SJ@JX usb encoders (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B083RTT51K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
connected to arcade sticks and buttons.  My MAME is an older version 0.122u1, but on it's own it works mint.

• 1 year later...

Just an update in case anyone stumbled across this thread looking for help. I finally fixed the problem by updating to the latest version of MAME (which right now is .261) and also I completely updated the ROM set as well which unbeknownst to most noobs is SUPER important!

Google “archive.org: Files for mame-merged”

3rd result has torrent links.