LaunchBox Community Forums

Core issues, 5200, 3DO, Wii, and CDI

krazydad69

Hey guys,
I love my big box setup and it's just about done with what I need to do with it. I just wanted to throw a few of my issues out there and see if anybody has a 2017 fix for them. I've googled a bit but haven't had any luck.

5200 - I followed a guide to open them with atari800 but I had no luck. Has anybody yet?
3DO - I can open retroarch and open 3DO roms manually, but they never launch properly from Launchbox or Big Box. They're ISO files... any tips? Bios is there.
Wii - Dolphin core works well for Gamecube games but gives me nothing on Wii. Any tips?
Phillips CDI - I followed a guide to open them with Mame but no dice.

I would appreciate any input, I'm a bit surprised at how obsessive I've been customizing my Big Box :)

Edit -- While I'm starting a topic, I haven't had any luck with the mednafen saturn core either despite having the BIOs files so I'm stuck with Yabause.

Edited by krazydad69

If your 3DO games are working in Retroarch on its own and not in Launchbox triple check your command line parameters in the Associated Platforms window for Retroarch in Launchbox.

Triple check your command line for Wii like for 3DO, it should work unless the RA core has issues with them. I use the stand alone version of Dolphin so can't say what the core is like for it.

For the CD-i you want to use Mame / Mess with the command line parameter:

cdimono1 -cdrm

2 hours ago, krazydad69 said:

Hey guys,
I love my big box setup and it's just about done with what I need to do with it. I just wanted to throw a few of my issues out there and see if anybody has a 2017 fix for them. I've googled a bit but haven't had any luck.

5200 - I followed a guide to open them with atari800 but I had no luck. Has anybody yet?
3DO - I can open retroarch and open 3DO roms manually, but they never launch properly from Launchbox or Big Box. They're ISO files... any tips? Bios is there.
Wii - Dolphin core works well for Gamecube games but gives me nothing on Wii. Any tips?
Phillips CDI - I followed a guide to open them with Mame but no dice.

I would appreciate any input, I'm a bit surprised at how obsessive I've been customizing my Big Box :)

Edit -- While I'm starting a topic, I haven't had any luck with the mednafen saturn core either despite having the BIOs files so I'm stuck with Yabause.

Certainly, the atari800 core in retroarch is great, but it's one of the most tricky to get up and running properly. And while I wouldn't give up on that idea, I definitely recommend using Mame/Mess or Altirra, as they are easier to get running and have (generally) excellent compatibility with the Atari 5200 library of games

Thank you both for your help. I remember seeing another thread where a guy had a problem with 3DO, with it being his command and I scoffed thinking mine was right, but there was an additional space in mine in front. :) It works now!
As for Wii/Dolphin, still no dice, tried both WBFS and ISO. Not even a crash, just nothing happens... very weird. Gamecube is flawless so far.
I'll keep tinkering around with CDI but no dice there either. I followed a guide where I entered in those core specific parameters (and I use the yearless mame core exclusive for CDI) but will give mame/mess altirra a spin for the 5200 tomorrow and update my post.

You guys are great, thanks again.

• 7 months later...

Regarding the Wii the below actually got it working for me, which is from a post here:

I was able to get it to work by manually updating NANDRootPath within the Dolphin.ini file in the …\RetroArch\saves\User\Config\ folder.

I set it to this directory:

NANDRootPath = C:\Users\Brucey\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Wii

It is not perfect as there is sometimes a bit of lag or jumpiness but is for the most part smooth. There are also occasional issues with controls such as Mario Kart Wii worked but New Super Mario Bros. Wii no controls work/are auto mapped. I am trying to get everything to work with RA or MAME despite some standalones being better so I am happy with the result thus far.

Edited by Dane