LaunchBox Community Forums

Suggestion for future build (Steam related)

Nickjs

Any chance in a future build we can get more support for importing Steam games?  As it is you can only import your entire library or nothing.  It would be really nice if you could select what games you want imported to Launchbox or at the very least a way to deselect the games you dont want.  I have about 800 games in my Steam library and I really only care to import about 250 of them.  I know you can import games individually one at a time but this takes forever, and you have to have the games installed.  Launchbox is awesome!  Keep up the great work!  

Edited by Nickjs

7 hours ago, Klamp said:

In the game list in the importer, select and press delete on your keyboard to remove unwanted games from the list.

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem with this is if you have hundreds of games and only want to import a hand full, it will take you a long time to delete the ones you don' want. Also, any time after that when you get a new game you want to import you would have to go through the massive deletion process again.

1 minute ago, Nickjs said:

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem with this is if you have hundreds of games and only want to import a hand full, it will take you a long time to delete the ones you don' want. Also, any time after that when you get a new game you want to import you would have to go through the massive deletion process again.

Isn't this what you asked for though in your original post?

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, Nickjs said:

It would be really nice if you could select what games you want imported to Launchbox or at the very least a way to deselect the games you dont want.

Unfortunately this is currently the only way to do it all the program does is look at the games in your account. I really don't see any other way to do it, if you don't want to import everything then you remove before import, or you import everything then delete from Launchbox after the fact. Unfortunately either way you will have to manually remove the games you don't want, there is obviously no way for launchbox to no what you want imported and what you don't, so you will always have to specify.

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Isn't this what you asked for though in your original post?

Unfortunately this is currently the only way to do it all the program does is look at the games in your account. I really don't see any other way to do it, if you don't want to import everything then you remove before import, or you import everything then delete from Launchbox after the fact. Unfortunately either way you will have to manually remove the games you don't want, there is obviously no way for launchbox to no what you want imported and what you don't, so you will always have to specify.

You could have every game you own shown with a check box next to it not selected. That way all you would have to do is put a check next to the ones you do want imported. Really fast and easy. As it currently is you have to hand delete every game you don' want and then you'll have to do it all over again every time you get a new game you want to import.

Sorry if I wasn' clear in my original post about deselecting games. I was thinking along the lines of a check box with a deselect all button kinda like when we scrape for images, box art, etc...

Edited by Nickjs

12 minutes ago, Nickjs said:

You could have every game you own shown with a check box next to it not selected. That way all you would have to do is put a check next to the ones you do want imported. Really fast and easy. As it currently is you have to hand delete every game you don' want and then you'll have to do it all over again every time you get a new game you want to import.

Sorry if I wasn' clear in my original post about deselecting games. I was thinking along the lines of a check box with a deselect all button kinda like when we scrape for images, box art, etc...

Yeah I get ya, to be honest I believe the steam import has been the way it is since it was implemented and it could use a overhaul. But I think we are using the steam api in some way also, so it may be a limitation of what that api can do. I'm not a coder so I'm really not sure exactly how the steam import works exactly.

A way around this conundrum, is to just manually create a platform. Mine is "Steam Games" and I import the shortcuts into LaunchBox, the same you would with Windows Games etc. The Steam Client creates those little URL shortcuts whenever you install a game. Use them instead. It's a lot easier than mashing that DEL key 500 times.

Edited by JamesBond@ge

1 hour ago, JamesBond@ge said:

A way around this conundrum, is to just manually create a platform. Mine is "Steam Games" and I import the shortcuts into LaunchBox, the same you would with Windows Games etc. The Steam Client creates those little URL shortcuts whenever you install a game. Use them instead. It's a lot easier than mashing that DEL key 500 times.

Thanks for the suggestion.  That does work, however having to do it a few hundred times can get kinda tedious, lol.  Also it requires that all the games be installed.  Thats what Im going to do for the time being though.  Thanks again.

1 hour ago, JamesBond@ge said:

That's ok. You shouldn't need to do it hundreds of times. You should be able to get the shortcuts out of the Steam folder in your Start menu.

As for having to have the games installed, as you say. I thought that was the whole issue.....not having games in your LaunchBox that are not installed?

O.o I didn't realize you could import multiple shortcuts at once! If that' the case then that does make it alot easier!

Not having the games installed wasn't really the issue. It's mainly I didn' want alot of the games that I didn' think I would ever play. However a visual record of the games I would like to potentially play would be nice. Installing every game that I could potentially want to play could be space prohibitive especially when you factor in modern AAA games.

• 2 weeks later...

That's true about not downloading the Steam videos. I actually go onto the Steam website itself and download the video from the games store page and manually rename it myself. You can do this by right clicking the video and doing the old "Save As" thing. It is a cumbersome way of doing things, but I find it less cumbersome than the LB Steam Import method.

14 minutes ago, JamesBond@ge said:

That's true about not downloading the Steam videos. I actually go onto the Steam website itself and download the video from the games store page and manually rename it myself. You can do this by right clicking the video and doing the old "Save As" thing. It is a cumbersome way of doing things, but I find it less cumbersome than the LB Steam Import method.

Thank you! Thats better than no video at all, lol. Better get started.

@Nickjs You're welcome. Sorry it's not more of a whizz bang automated solution, but it's one that I dream't up when I realised the LB Steam Importer is not that great.

I don't know if you already know this, but the Steam videos are in .WEBM format and they do play in LB / BB without any kind of conversion. Put them in the videos folder for the Steam platform you created. They should be named exactly the same as the shortcut is named.

Edited by JamesBond@ge