LaunchBox Community Forums

Reference Redump Validated ISOs

mightymo77

Hey guys. So I recently found some "Reference Redump Validated ISOs" (if you google that, the first three sites that are listed should be one for Sega-CD, 3D0 and NEC PC Engine CD-ROM. So I downloaded the Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo (Japan) (FABT, FACT).zip file to test. It doesn't work. To make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, or using a bad BIOS, I opened two versions of the same game that I've always had, and they worked fine. I tried this on two emulators, PCEjin and Turbo Engine. My two games worked on both emulators, but the "Redump Validated ISO" did not work.

So, does anyone know anything about this set? It's exciting to see that they are "redumped" and "validated", but why don't they work?

I'm not sure about Turbo Engine and PCEjin doesn't appear to have been worked on since 2015. Have you tried an up to date emulator like the pce_fast or supergrafx cores in RetroArch?

They are actively being worked on.

Edited by Charco

I've never heard the term "Reference Redump Validated ISOs" specifically, but I've used dumps from Redump (Redump.org has more info) extensively I've never had any problems out of literally hundreds of games that I've tested. I've used them for PSX, PS2, Sega CD, Saturn, DC, and they've always been fine. They may be the same thing, but I've never heard them called anything but just "Redump".

I've never used PCEjin or Turbo Engine - I use PCE_Fast in Retroarch. I can test out the version you're talking about in it and see how it goes. I can't recall where most of my PCE CD games are from, I don't think they were from Redump though.

Ahh OK I see. Thanks so much for checking, now I know the dump is in fact good, and probably the best one out there if it's a "redump and verified". With that being said I don't really know how to setup RetroArch. I downloaded the "Beetle PCE Fast" core, scanned my NEC TurboGrafx-CD directory but nothing.

You don't need to scan any games into Retroarch. You'll be directing the games to Retroarch via your Launchbox library.

(note that the core names have changed from "Mednafen" to "Beetle" so adjust the information in the below accordingly; the file name of the core dlls should still be the same though - the core I used to test is mednafen_pce_fast_libretro.dll specifically; I use it for both TG16/PCE and TGCD/PCE-CD)

There are tons of other guides that are retroarch-related here on the forums and on the youtube channel.

Those guys, I got it running in LaunchBox using RetroArch. Now another issue. I have that "redump and verified" version, and also a translated version that I found on IsoZone.

When I go to scan the .cue file in LaunchBox, it will take over the other one. So I cannot have both versions show up. Know of a way to fix that? The files are named differently, for example:

Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo (Japan) (FABT, FACT).cue
Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo (J).cue

DraculaX_Versions.png

Moderator Edit: Removed direct link to download.

Regarding your specific question, just add it as an additional app for the game. Edit the game entry, go to the additional apps tab, direct it to the alternate game you want to use, tell it to "use emulator", and then name it whatever (like Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo (English) or whatever). It will then show up in the right-click menu for the game, or underneath the main title in Big Box.