LaunchBox Community Forums

Issues with input in Big Box

noiseordinance

Hey guys. I love Big Box, and the LB/BB combo is my front end of choice after years of Hyperspin. But I’m having a problem. BB does not register all of my inputs. What I mean is that when browsing games and consoles, if I press up or down 10 times, it only registers 6-7 of my inputs as if it’s not receiving all of my commands, leading to issues with responsiveness. This happens when using a keyboard or X360 controller. I use Kodi as well and have no issues with input. I also have no input issues after launching an emulator. This is very specific to BB. 

To be clear, this is not lag. When it registers input, it responds immediately. 

This has been consistent since installing BB a year and a half ago and continues even on the current version for me. 

I’ve also went through the performance sticky.

My specs: i5 4460 @ 3.2ghz, 8gb RAM, GTX 970, Samsung Evo 840 SSD. 

Any pointers? Thanks!!

Edited by noiseordinance

That's really weird and must be frustrating. My first thought was it must be a potato PC but from your specs obviously that's not the case and it's very specific to LB only you said. And not a controller issue, it happens on keyboard as well and these input devices both work fine otherwise I'm assuming.

I dunno...your question got my gears turning but I can't think of anything. Well I can think of things but they are kind of stupid shots in the dark, like changing LB to another hard drive and trying it? Does restarting the PC do anything? This happens literally every single time? Maybe it's lagging due to trying to cache images, maybe adjust the caching settings? Input device drivers need to be updated (or rolled back)? I know I use wireless keyboard, mouse and controller and sometimes the range is an issue, it'll be sporadic if you're more than a few feet away and miss button/key presses. One last thing, sometimes input devices can interfere with each other, maybe unplug unused input devices? For example, one time I was pulling my hair out until I realized my usb Wiimote sensor was messing up my xbox 360 controller and other input devices, so I have to keep it unplugged when not playing Wii games.

Again, shots in the dark here. Good luck.That would be annoying. If I think of anything else I'll come back.

This is the first time I'm hearing about anything like this as well. Per the specs, the RAM is fairly minimal (16 gigs is recommended), though still, that shouldn't cause that problem. It seems like it's either a glitch with WPF or the .NET Framework on your particular system, or perhaps there's an input device somewhere that is wreaking havoc. The first thing I would try is unplugging everything (literally everything) from your system, and then plugging in input devices one at a time to see if the problem remains. Believe it or not, we have seen even some keyboards that do silly things like act as game controllers and such, and if they're implemented in strange ways they can interfere with things. I would also try turning off "use all controllers" and use a specific controller to see if that helps.

Let me know if you can identify a specific controller or keyboard, etc. that is causing the problem.

I have major troubles using either of my Logitech wireless keyboards with integrated touchpad (one of the keyboards is a very nice higher end one too) with LB/BB on my HTPC running Win10. I've learned to live with it. It could be the Logitech devices fault, but who knows. I know some people on the forums have used at least one model wireless logitech with no issues.

I try not to use my htpc wireless logitech keyboard and touchpad at all when BB is open (LB is almost unusable if I open it). So just use my usb xbox 360 controller.

Also, when I first started using LB/BB, I was running Xpadder as well as LB/BB controller settings for xbox xinput. That was causing erratic behavior like double inputs. I don't know if you have any controller apps running, but if you do, you might try disabling those controller related apps as a test. 

You could also try messing with LB/BB settings like the disable mouse setting, don't set to use all controllers, etc. Something might help.