LaunchBox Community Forums

8bitdo SNES controller question for BigBox

avaris

Hey, I'm thinking of buying 2x snes wireless controllers from 8bitdo for my bigbox setup although this is the first time i'm buying controllers with bluetooth connection and im a bit worried about how it will function with bigbox & my emulators.

If i use a usb stick bluetooth adapter for my computer to connect with the controllers will there be any sort of lag or long wake up time? Also will the usb stick work for both wireless controllers simultaneously? if not is there a limit of x amount of controllers?

If im planning on buying n64 controller wireless BLUETOOTH, will it interfere with the snes controllers in terms of the mapping the buttons in Retroarch / Bigbox etc when turned on/off?

If anyone with experience with the 8bitdo snes wireless controller could help  me out it would be greatly appreciated! ^_^

Link to the controllers

Edited by avaris

That specific controller although bluetooth is not a standard bluetooth controller. You will also need to get the 8bitdo wireless dongle to connect it to a PC otherwise you have to keep it as a wired controller on PC.

I personally have this 8bitdo one, which is full bluetooth and is detected by windows as a xinput controller. If you buy a bluetooth 8bitdo N64 controler it may or may not interfere with your button mappings on the snes one, it will depend on the ID that the N64 one has, and weather it uses xinput or not because if they both show as "xinput controllers" in windows they probably will conflict with button mapping.

Edit:

Ill tag @Retro808 here as i believe he has experience with those specific controllers.

• Like 1

What Windows version are you using? Reason I ask is I had experienced some random connection issues with the 8Bitdo and a bluetooth dongle on Windows 7/8. Since moving to 10 those issues have not been present. To honest though the issue may have been the brand usb dongle I was using. I am using this one now with no issues. So keep that in mind. 

Make sure you update the firmware in the controllers when you get them. That helps a ton. With the firmware updated connection is quick. Lag wise I do not experience anything bad, in fact anytime it is present I can get the same lag with my Xbox One controller so it is not unique to the controller. You can connect both 8bitdo to the wireless receiver and have no issues. To be honest I cannot remember if we had issues when we used the Xbox One controller as well to play Mario Kart 8. I will test and let you know. I have not had any issues with the multiple controllers affecting mapping that may be due to the controllers I use and as Neil mentioned d-input vs. x-input. 

I highly recommend their new controller SF30/SN30 Pro. It has both d-input and x-input functionality so it makes configuring for a wide variety of emulators a breeze and Playstation style shoulder buttons for L1/2 and R1/2. About $15 more than the 1 you are looking at but the x and d input function alone is worth it. 

Edited by Retro808
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

That specific controller although bluetooth is not a standard bluetooth controller. You will also need to get the 8bitdo wireless dongle to connect it to a PC otherwise you have to keep it as a wired controller on PC.

I personally have this 8bitdo one, which is full bluetooth and is detected by windows as a xinput controller. If you buy a bluetooth 8bitdo N64 controler it may or may not interfere with your button mappings on the snes one, it will depend on the ID that the N64 one has, and weather it uses xinput or not because if they both show as "xinput controllers" in windows they probably will conflict with button mapping.

Edit:

Ill tag @Retro808 here as i believe he has experience with those specific controllers.

Thank you! Is there another version of the SNES controller without the joysticks that works with standard bluetooth? I'm only going to use it for my snes, nes, gba & gbc games which doesn't use the joysticks & i guess i like the simplicity without them.

About the n64 controller, i haven't really decided yet, I'm looking for a controller for n64/gamecube. Gamecube wireless seems nonexistent and i highly prefer wireless since my setup is from a couch. I guess my question is, is there a way to tell what ID the n64 is using & if they will interfere with the snes controller?

Also I already have 4 Playstation controllers that has the same name in windows game controller settings and they don't interfere with eachother.

29 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

What Windows version are you using? Reason I ask is I had experienced some random connection issues with the 8Bitdo and a bluetooth dongle on Windows 7/8. Since moving to 10 those issues have not been present. To honest though the issue may have been the brand usb dongle I was using. I am using this one now with no issues. So keep that in mind. 

Make sure you update the firmware in the controllers when you get them. That helps a ton. With the firmware updated connection is quick. Lag wise I do not experience anything bad, in fact anytime it is present I can get the same lag with my Xbox One controller so it is not unique to the controller. You can connect both 8bitdo to the wireless receiver and have no issues. To be honest I cannot remember if we had issues when we used the Xbox One controller as well to play Mario Kart 8. I will test and let you know. I have not had any issues with the multiple controllers affecting mapping that may be due to the controllers I use and as Neil mentioned d-input vs. x-input. 

I highly recommend their new controller SF30/SN30 Pro. It has both d-input and x-input functionality so it makes configuring for a wide variety of emulators a breeze and Playstation style shoulder buttons for L1/2 and R1/2. About $15 more than the 1 you are looking at but the x and d input function alone is worth it. 

Windows 7. Sounds good thanks for the info! Although I would really prefer the original design of the snes controller because i'm only going to use it for the more older consoles.

Would love to get suggestions for n64/gamecube controllers.

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Edit:

It says in the q/a that the controller should in fact work with a bluetooth dongle (here). Is it gibberish or correct? ^_^

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

They will work with most Bluetooth dongles. I linked to the one that I use in my earlier post. 

They are dinput only like that though right? So i would check that whatever emulators you are using support dinput and not just xinput. However if you are using Retroarch for these systems then Retroarch supports dinput out of the box.

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

They are dinput only like that though right? So i would check that whatever emulators you are using support dinput and not just xinput. However if you are using Retroarch for these systems then Retroarch supports dinput out of the box.

Retroarch for the win, Yep only using retroarch for the emulators which i will be using for these controllers!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I believe so which is why I mentioned to new one since it can be booted up as d or x input. However, even with the one he is looking at I rarely had an issue with many of emulators I use. Retroarch for sure worked flawlessly. Retroarch is great because if you forget to start the controller before RA launches it still will work when you turn on the controller. 

15 minutes ago, avaris said:

Ok! Would love to buy the dongle, but it ships to sweden for 70$ O.o

This has good review and is cheap here but don't know much else, website here also.

Yeah, I figured you may not be in the US like me so I just wanted to show you that even with an inexpensive dongle it works. Keep in mind I did have issues with another brand. I cannot remember the brand, but that Belkin one should do the trick. 

36 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Yeah, I figured you may not be in the US like me so I just wanted to show you that even with an inexpensive dongle it works. Keep in mind I did have issues with another brand. I cannot remember the brand, but that Belkin one should do the trick. 

Cool, thanks a lot guys ^_^

I'd stil love to know if the 8bitdo controllers knock other wired controllers off their spot in the id line when they are turned off and on again.  I'd love to get one , but need someone's experience first so I don't have a useless controller if it knocks the others around.  That's why I've kept to all wired thus far.

I jus mean If you have wired controllers plugged in and map them to an emulator. Then when you turn the wireless one on and off for another emulator, does it Mess up the windows controller order so that when you go back to the emulator with the wired controller, the mapping no longer works since the order got shifted around when the wireless was on and off. 

• 1 month later...

there's got to be someone out there with an 8bitdo and some wired controllers who can test out what happens on 8bitdo shutdown and startup with the wired joysticks.  I guess it's cheap enough i could just get it myself, but then if it ruins the joyid crap then it will be useless.

• 2 months later...

I've been using 2x 8bitdo controllers for 2 or so months now and i just wanted to say that it perfectly reconnects and syncs to the right controller each time on shutdown / startup. Just make sure when you sync them to windows to only sync once per controller (if you have 2x that is). Also if you did it more than once for each controller and it shows more than one for each you can just remove one of them.

Edited by avaris