LaunchBox Community Forums

New to CPS1-3

MrBrac

You need a rom set that matches with the core you are using. There are 2 main FBA cores, the one with no year in its name and the one with 2012 in the name. The other more specific cores are only for really low end hardware like Raspberry Pis and are a bit more optimized for speed.

During the import process if you chose to copy or move your roms to the Launchbox folder this will mess it all up, there are bios files such as NeoGeo.zip and Qsound.zip (and others) which are essentially bios files along with other "parent" or "clone" files which may or may not be required for the games to work.

Check your games in Retroarch outside of Launchbox if you haven't done so already.

My advice for new users is to get a full Mame rom set and use the stand alone version of Mame that matches up with the rom set version you get. This will be much more reliable and easier ot get running. FBA is a good emulator and I don't want to take anything away from it at all but it is a bit more tricky to get a proper rom set for the FBA core. Mame is just so much easier and more reliable and emulates all of the same games just as well if not better.

@retro808 The crash is not really a crash but fail to load. It fails on Retroarch and launchbox. I tried FB, 2012, csp1 , and cps2.

@Lordmonkus I never move my games except for dos ones. I do not have qsound I am gonna look for it. However, I just tried to add a NeoGeo game to my Arcade setup with mame core and neo geo games run with no issue but capcom won't. On  funny note I was thinking of you when I posted this and damn your fast lol. I read a lot of your posts about mame but still got me going ??

Another thing to take into possible consideration is that a little while back the encryption chip on the CPS2 games got hacked and is now a requirement in the roms for newer versions of Mame. The roms got updated to contain a key.txt file in each and every rom file. I have no idea whether or not the newer builds of the FBA core has this same requirement.

8 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Another thing to take into possible consideration is that a little while back the encryption chip on the CPS2 games got hacked and is now a requirement in the roms for newer versions of Mame. The roms got updated to contain a key.txt file in each and every rom file. I have no idea whether or not the newer builds of the FBA core has this same requirement.

@MrBrac Do you know what set version your roms came from? As @Lordmonkus mentions there are some updates that happened. The qsound.zip changed and the key.txt file. So if your roms are from earlier than 0.186 you will have issues with updated Mame as well as updated FBA cores in Retroarch. 

Edited by Retro808

Both FBA and Mame emulates the NeoGeo perfectly fine, they are pretty equal in terms of emulation quality with no perceivable differences in the 2.

As for the "console" version as opposed to the "arcade" version there is no difference, they are the exact same hardware and rom files. The only difference is the console version had some options like free play and some other minor things more appropriate for a home console vs the arcade but this was in the bios of the home console. With FBA and Mame you can choose which bios you use and many people use the aftermarket bios known as Unibios. You can set things such as home or arcade version along with region.

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

The qsound.zip changed

Ah yes, I forgot about the Qsound update, thanks for the reminder.